Aishwarya Rai, Abhishek Bachchan were asked why they lived with parents. Here are their fierce replies
One particular moment during the publicity tour for Gurinder Chadha’s 2004 film Bride and Prejudice is perhaps even more popular than the film itself. When Aishwayra Rai dropped by David Letterman’s talk show to promote the movie, little did she know the sort of mild condescension and awkward curiosity she’d be greeted by.
Throughout the interview, Aishwarya displayed patience as Letterman displayed basic ignorance about his subject, the country she belongs to, and the industry in which she works. But when Letterman asked her if she still lives with her parents, and if this is common in India, Aishwarya had a response for the ages. “It’s fine to live with your parents, because It’s also common in India, we don’t have to take appointments from the parents to meet for dinner,” she said, dropping the mic.
Also Watch | Aishwarya Rai-Aaradhya, Shah Rukh Khan-Abram spotted at school function
Letterman was at a loss for words, while the crowd took a moment to let her remark sink in, and applauded quietly. Aishwarya was, as Letterman mentioned even back then, an internationally recognised star. But it was before she married Abhishek Bachchan, who is no stranger to fighting back against trolls either.
Once, when a Twitter user took a nasty jab at him for living with his parents, Abhishek replied, “Yes! And it’s the proudest moment for me to be able to be there for them, as they have for me. Try it sometime, you might feel better about yourself.”
Aishwarya and Abhishek still live at the family home in Juhu, Mumbai, and have one daughter, Aaradhya. The actor often posts pictures of her mother, Brinda, and her late father, Krishnaraj Rai, on Instagram.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The creatives behind an apparel advertisement featuring Deepika Padukone have been accused of plagiarism by Yeh Ballet filmmaker Sooni Taraporevala, who has called the incident 'intellectual theft'.
- Fans have once again spotted similarities between Tiger Shroff's character in Heropanti 2, and Agent 47 in the Hitman video game series. A new poster for the film debuted on Tuesday.
- Kajol celebrated the completion of one year of her short film, Devi. She mentioned how the film could still make her emotional.
- Several Twitter users pointed out that the poster for the upcoming Saina Nehwal biopic, starring Parineeti Chopra, appears to show an incorrect serve action.
- John Abraham and Disha Patani have begun working on their upcoming film, Ek Villain Returns. See pics.
- Tiger Shroff, who turned a year older on Tuesday, was spotted with rumoured girlfriend Disha Patani and his mother Ayesha Dutt on a dinner outing.
- Ankita Lokhande has shared several pictures and videos from a house party she had with Rashami Desai on Monday.
- Shaza Morani and Priyaank Sharma's Hindu wedding ceremony has been postponed, in light of the increase in Covid-19 cases in Maharashtra. The couple and their families and friends are currently in the Maldives.
- Divya Dutta has expressed her displeasure at being labeled as a supporting actor, insisting she loves playing all kinds of roles.
- Actor Parineeti Chopra's long-awaited biopic of badminton ace Saina Nehwal has been given a release date. Watch the first teaser here.
- Actor Ileana D'Cruz was asked during an Instagram Ask Me Anything session if she's ever had any cosmetic surgeries done. Here's what she said.
- Kangana Ranaut says that a new FIR has been registered against her, this time over her tweets on farmers agitation against the farm bills.
- Tara Sutaria shared the first poster of her upcoming movie Tadap. Her boyfriend Aadar Jain shared the poster on his Instagram Stories and expressed his excitement.