Aligarh affected me personally, says Rajkummar Rao
Aligarh was a life-transforming experience for Rajkummar Rao, who played a journalist in Hansal Mehta’s real-life inspired story about Aligarh Muslim University professor Shrinivas Ramachandra Siras.
The National-award winning actor said he has become more compassionate towards the same sex people and their problems as he got to know more about Siras, who was suspended because of his sexual orientation following a sting operation. “Aligarh did affect me personally. I care about everyone. I don’t judge people based on their sexual orientation. Through this film, I got to know Siras’ journey. I could see the internal struggle homosexual people face and how they go into their own shells. There is a certain section of society which is not accepting them. I could see the pain and agony these people go through as they can’t come out in open,” said Rajkummar.
The actor said he was moved by the powerful script of Aligarh, also starring Manoj Bajpayee in the lead role, and was onboard for it at the first go. “When Hansal sir told me about Aligarh and said if I would be interested in doing a part, I told him that I would love to do the film. But he wanted me to read the script first. It was so well written.”
A section of intellectuals are unhappy with Mehta’s film, which released today, for showing Aligarh in bad light. “I think the problem with them is the title of the film. They feel naming the film Aligarh leaves a wrong impression about the city. My request would be let them see the film first. Siras was completely in love with the city as he spent last 30 years of his life there.”
Rajkummar, who is playing journalist Deepu Sebastian in the film, feels his telephonic conversations with the scribe helped him to understand the character. “My part is also based on a real-life character of Deepu Sebastian. I spoke to Deepu and got his whole perspective on the tragic incident. He was the one, who shared the closest rapport with Siras. I got to know about his bonding with Siras and why he wanted to become a journalist.”
Sharing screen space again with Bajpayee after historical war drama Chittagong helped Rajkummar to give a one-notch higher performance. “I have always been a great admirer of his (Bajpayee) work. His acting impacted me when I was growing up as an actor. Getting a chance to work with him again is overwhelming. On sets, we both tried to be in our character truthfully and we improvised a lot.”
Watch: Rajkummar Rao, Manoj Bajpayee in Aligarh trailer
Post Aligarh, Rajkummar will be seen in Ramesh Sippy’s Shimla Mirchi, which also stars veteran actress Hema Malini.
Follow @htshowbiz for more.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Akshay Oberoi: Acting is not a sport or a game, you’re just competing with yourself and your last performance
- Called a 'truly clueless, uneducated, stupid human being' on Twitter, Kangana Ranaut said that her tweets are intended for 'high IQ people'.
- Babil Khan got emotional as he stumbled upon old messages from his father, the late Irrfan Khan, while deleting unnecessary texts from his phone.
- Hrithik Roshan, in an interview in 2017, said that he was at a good place in his life and was not thinking about getting married again. He was previously married to Sussanne Khan.
- Parineeti Chopra reminisced about many of her firsts in a new video for Netflix India. Watch it here.
- Bipasha Basu and her husband, Karan Singh Grover, have been keeping their fans updated with their adventures in the Maldives. See their pictures here.
- Milind Soman and his wife, Ankita Konwar, took to Instagram on Saturday to celebrate seven years of their relationship. See the pictures here.
- Actor Priyanka Chopra on Saturday passed on her best wishes to the current Miss India contestants, and reminisced about winning the crown two decades ago.
- Ranvir Shorey was asked by a fan if his leg fracture was caused by too much happy dancing after recovering from Covid-19. See his reply here.
- Shilpa Shetty, who is currently vacationing in Maldives, shared another stunning picture of herself. See it here.