Angrezi Medium box office day 2: Coronavirus shutdowns hit Irrfan film hard, earns Rs 6.78 cr after 20% drop
The box office fortunes of Irrfan and Kareena Kapoor Khan starrer Angrezi Medium show no signs of revival. As per a Box Office India report, its collections further dropped on Saturday, with the film making an estimated Rs 2.75 crore nett on day 2.
This has taken the total in two days to Rs 6.78 crore. Writing about the day 1 collection trade analyst Taran Adarsh had written on Saturday, “#AngreziMedium Fri ₹ 4.03 cr. #India biz. Note: Biz has been severely affected due to closure of cinema halls in several states. #CoronaVirus #COVID19.”
The film was to serve as actor Irrfan’s first film after two years as he underwent treatment for cancer. The film’s makers had taken great pains to ensure that Irrfan’s treatment and recovery was not hindered in anyway. The film was extensively shot in London, where he had reportedly been undergoing treatment for the last two years, and Rajasthan. The actor was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in 2018 and had been getting treated for it since.
He had returned towards the end of 2019, ostensibly having recovered from the dreaded disease. Sadly, he had to return to treatment soon after and was unable to promote the film.
The outbreak of coronavirus has affected the Hindi film industry adversely. A release of a number of big budget films such as Sooryavanshi, Vicky Kaushal’s Udham Singh biopic and Fast and Furious 9 have been postponed. While the makers haven’t announced Sooryavanshi’s new release date, Fast and Furious 9 will arrive only in April next year. Vicky Kaushal’s film will also hit the screens in January next year. Not just that, shooting of a number of films such as Jersey, Bhool Bhulaiyaa 2 and Brahmastra were cancelled too due to coronavirus. However, the shoot of a few films such as Salman Khan’s Radhe: Your Most Wanted Bhai, Vidya Balan’s Sherni, Bhumi Pednekar’s Durgavati and John Abraham’s Mumbai Saga continue as per schedule.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Shah Rukh Khan's daughter, Suhana Khan, has shared a new picture on Instagram Stories, showing off her necklace collection.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's niece, Mallika Singh, shared precious memories with him on his birth anniversary. She said that she misses him ‘more than (he) can ever imagine’.
- Mira Rajput has shared new pictures from her Goa vacation with Shahid Kapoor. See her latest posts here.
- Kangana Ranaut criticised Twitter after a representative justified temporary restriction of her account, citing her now-deleted anti-Tandav tweet.
- Anil Kapoor was sceptical about playing Priyanka Chopra's father in Dil Dhadakne Do, as they were offered films as a romantic pair in the past. His son, Harsh Varrdhan Kapoor, convinced him to take up the role.
- Actor Tiger Shroff's sister, Krishna, has shared a special post on her 28th birthday, and Disha Patani is in awe. Check it out here.
- Actor Arjun Rampal has shared a new video with his son, Arik. His partner, Gabriella Demetriades, loves it.
- Varun Dhawan evaded commenting on his upcoming wedding with Natasha Dalal in Alibaug when photographers congratulated him. Watch the video here.
- Late actor Sushant Singh Rajput's last co-star, Sanjana Sanghi, has paid tribute to him on his birth anniversary on Thursday.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's sister Priyanka Singh paid an emotional tribute to him on his birth anniversary. She appealed to him to respond as the 'eventuality of (his) silence is too loud to bear'.
- Actor Swara Bhasker has said that it is advisable to have a plan B in place before aspiring actors attempt to realise their Bollywood dreams.
- Kajol revealed why she found herself 'attractive' and even 'sexy', but never 'beautiful'. It took her many years to associate that adjective with herself.