Anupam Kher: Just like sportspersons, actors also represent India
Anupam Kher who has been part of popular international films such as Bend It Like Beckham (2002), You Will Meet A Tall Dark Stranger (2010) and Silver Linings Playbook (2012) among others, is proud to represent India in international cinema.
“ We actors and film people unlike sportspersons don’t officially get to represent the country. But I believe that just as a badminton player, or a chess player represents India, we are also doing the same. Whatever projects in the West I have been a part of, or whatever projects I am doing, I am representing my country. That’s why I want to give my best in every (international) film that I do. I am very satisfied with whatever I have done so far, and I am very proud if it as well,” he says.
The 62-year-old actor, who was in Delhi to promote Naam Shabana, has five international projects coming out this year which includes The Big Sick (alongside actors Ray Romano and Zoe Kazan), The Family Man (alongside Gerard Butler and Allison Brie) and Hotel Mumbai (alongside Dev Patel, Arnie Hammer and Jason Isaacs). Apart from the films, Kher will also be seen in a comedy mini-series- The Indian Detective where he is playing Russell Peter’s father.
“ I think I have started my best work now. That’s why I have started working abroad now as well. My 500th film (The Big Sick) was premiered at the Sundance Music Festival and it generated a lot of critical appreciation, and that’s fantastic for an Indian actor, who does a film in a commercial genre. That was a very proud moment for me and I was very happy to be a part of that project,” he says.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Kangana Ranaut, who earlier accused Vikas Bahl of inappropriate behaviour, thanked him for turning her career around with Queen. She said that he 'played a very significant role' in shaping her destiny.
- Shahid Kapoor aced the Centre of Gravity challenge, much to the surprise of his wife Mira Rajput, who called him a 'smooth operator'. Watch the video here.
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui's wife Aaliya has reaffirmed her wish to reconcile with the actor in a new interview, adding that she is ready to mend her ties with his brother Shamas.
- Rhea Kapoor dedicated an adorable Instagram post to her boyfriend Karan Boolani. She shared pictures of her showering him with kisses. See his reply here.
- Taimur Ali Khan was photographed in Mumbai on Sunday. The star kid was seen out with his father Saif Ali Khan and half-sister Sara Ali Khan.
- Sara Ali Khan shared two new pictures from brother Ibrahim's birthday party. More pictures were shared by one of Ibrahim's friends.
- Anupam Kher, who turned a year older on Sunday, shared a video from his birthday 'pawri' with his 'best friends'. Watch it here.
- Actor Vidya Balan has recalled feeling worried about how her family would react to The Dirty Picture. She revealed her mother and father's immediate reaction to the film.
- Twinkle Khanna, using an adorable photo of daughter Nitara kissing a puppy, urged everyone to wear their masks correctly instead of using them as 'chin straps'.
- Janhvi Kapoor celebrated her 24th birthday on Saturday, with the team of Good Luck Jerry. See inside pictures and videos from the celebrations here.