“Had it not be for OTT projects, I’d be doing character roles in films or lead in TV shows”
“OTT has given work to actors like me,” says actor Shweta Basu Prasad, who has five projects coming up this year on various online platforms. “I have never been this busy in my life. This is common for every actor like me who are getting good roles. Web projects give respect to writers who then create characters that can shine, so content has become king and due to that actors like are getting really substantial roles. Had it not be for OTT projects, I’d be doing character roles in films or lead in a TV show. Before The Tashkent Files (2019), I didn’t get good enough roles but now I am.” She has been enjoying doing projects on OTT including short films and web shows.
Prasad was noticed as a child actor in Makdee (2002) and Iqbal (2005) and recently was seen in Badrinath Ki Dulhania (2017), and the TV show Chandra Nandini (2016-2017). Having being exposed to world cinema since childhood, she is glad that finally audiences are able to enjoy good content from around the world. “I am also enjoying watching actors like Neena Gupta, Pankaj Kapur, Kumud Mishra, Sanjay Mishra playing lead roles in OTT shows. It is a great time to be an actor as everyone is experimenting. (Actor) Vijay Verma said, that now actors are not feeling insecure that their prime is getting wasted. That time nikal raha hai as everyone is getting good work. People of all ages and all kinds of images are getting work, provided you are a good actor. In fact, in the pandemic taught us that we need art- books, music and cinema- to survive and this is the time,” she says.
Prasad is excited about being a part of the web show Hostage 2 that stars Ronit Roy and Dino Morea among others. She says she loved the first season as an audience and was thrilled to be a part of the second. “Sachin sir (Krishnan; director) had seen my film Tashkent Files and I had worked with Sudhir Mishra sir (director) on a film he made for Netflix, Serious Men. Both the directors auditioned me and that’s how I got the part. I play Shikha, an investigative intelligence bureau officer and trying to make her place in a man’s world. People in the department don’t take her seriously and what bothers the men around her is that she is diligent and hard working. She shakes things up in the show constantly,” says the actor.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
Birthday girl Sanya Malhotra: In my fifth year in Bollywood, it’s surreal, can’t believe I am living my dream
- Ayushmann Khurrana made sure to interact with his fans in Shillong by promptly coming down to meet them after they gathered at his Shillong hotel. Watch here
- After the death of singer Sardool Sikander on Wednesday, comedian Kapil Sharma shared a video from his daughter Anayra's first Lohri, when Sardool gave his blessings to the baby.
- The teaser of Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Gangubai Kathiawadi, starring Alia Bhatt in the titular role, was released on Wednesday. Watch it here.
- Alia Bhatt shared a new poster of her upcoming movie Gangubai Kathiawadi. The poster received love from many Bollywood stars including Ranveer Singh , Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan.
- Actor Nora Fatehi in an emotional interview recalled the difficulties that she faced as a struggler in Bollywood.