Hope to get the censor certificate today, Maatr producer says nixing ban rumours
Bollywood fans were busy expressing outrage against the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) over the weekend for “rejecting” Raveena Tandon’s upcoming film - Maatr. Media reports claimed the board members first walked out of the screening of the movie and subsequently, when it was again screened for them on Saturday, they “rejected” it finding it “too violent”.
The film’s producer Anjum Rizvi, however, refuted the rumours and told Hindustan Times, “All these reports are false. The movie was not screened on Saturday or earlier. It is being screened for the board members today and we hope to get the final decision today itself.”
He also expressed hopes that the film will releases as scheduled, on April 21.
ANI had earlier quoted CBFC CEO Anurag Shrivastava denying the claims, “The screening of the movie Maatr for CBFC was done yesterday evening and at the moment there is no screening of Maatr again. The ban on the movie is false, as the examination committee is still in process and the result will be conveyed in a day or two.”
Interestingly, it was not just the online janta who gave a knee-jerk reaction. Even the movie’s lead actor, Raveena, lapped up on the opportunity and said., “I can count films whose sense of humour was vulgar but there was no objection made. Now with Maatr, when we are showing the reality, objections are being raised and it is surprising.”
Maatr is directed by Ashtar Sayed and features Raveena as a single mother. It is due for April 21 release, but the actress said she wasn’t aware about the next move of its makers.
“Amol Palekar sir has approached the Supreme Court (over censorship) and even Shyam Benegal has submitted his report so we are hoping change will come,” she said.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Actor Shabana Azmi has shared a picture of herself, smiling from ear-to-ear, on the one-year anniversary of a near-fatal car crash.
- Remo D'Souza, who recently had a health scare, was spotted out and about town with friend Aamir Ali. Watch a video here.
- Citing the examples of Deepika Padukone, Kangana Rananut and Alia Bhatt, Taapsee Pannu has said that it is 'tedious' to find male stars to do female-led films.
- Mira Rapjut has shared new photos and videos from her Goa vacation with husband, actor Shahid Kapoor. Check them out here.
- Kangana Ranaut shared a video of Jiah Khan's sister levelling serious allegations of sexual harassment against Sajid Khan. She suggested that he has the 'full support' of the 'mafia' in the film industry.
- Actor Minissha Lamba has said that there is no longer any stigma attached to separation, and if a relationship isn't working, it is advisable to part ways amicably.
- Shah Rukh Khan jokingly took offence as the official Twitter handle of Kolkata Knight Riders declared Juhi Chawla’s husband Jay Mehta as the 'most affable gentleman'.
- Actor Sonam Kapoor has shared a new image from the Glasgow sets of her upcoming film, Blind. Her dad, Anil Kapoor, left a comment on her post.
- Natasa Stankovic has paid a heartfelt tribute to Hardik Pandya’s father who died on Saturday after suffering a heart attack.
- Disha Patani took to Instagram stories to share a video of herself dancing to rumoured boyfriend Tiger Shroff's new track, Casanova.
- Soni Razdan feels that Rhea Chakraborty has a bright future ahead of her in the film industry. Soni said that her time in jail 'clearly exposed the people who sent her there'.