Karan Johar on ‘nepotism rocks’ chant: We went a bit too far with the Kangana mention
After Varun Dhawan’s apology, Karan Johar has also expressed regret at his ‘nepotism rocks’ chant at the 18th India International Film Awards (IIFA) in New York on Saturday. The director said he took full responsibility for the joke which was ‘entirely his idea.’
In an interview to NDTV, Karan said he ‘obviously doesn’t think that nepotism rocks.’ “Of course I don’t believe that ‘nepotism rocks’. Of course, I believe that only talent rocks. If anything that rocks, it’s your talent, hard work and conviction. It’s the energy you bring to your job. What we said was meant to be a joke, which I think has been misplaced, misunderstood and I think it went wrong. I regret it,” he said.
“The idea of that joke was entirely mine, so I take onus of the idea of what we said. And I think we went a bit too far with the Kangana mention,” he added.
He also addressed his ‘issues with Kangana’ in the interview: “No matter what I say or feel about my issues with what Kangana said on my talk show Koffee With Karan, I think I was raised to be a dignified, a chivalrous, and a decent person. That’s the upbringing that I was given and I feel that I failed on those accounts. I felt that no matter what my thoughts or personal issues on this, I should not have repeatedly brought that up. For that, I’m deeply regretful.”
Karan said that he wants the matter now closed with the interview and assured Kangana and his fans that he will no longer talk about nepotism or bring up Kangana’s name. “I want to once and for all say and close this chapter after this and subsequently I will not speak about nepotism nor Kangana because it would be distrustful for her and it would be ungraceful at my end, which I’ve already been. Nepotism is easy access, nobody can deny that, but what you do with that access is what moulds you into a professional.””
Karan and Saif Ali Khan, who were hosting the gala, revisited the much-talked about nepotism issue that started in Bollywood when actor Kangana Ranaut branded Karan as a “flagbearer of nepotism” on his chat show Koffee With Karan.
When Varun joined the two actors on stage at the Metlife Stadium to receive the Best Performance in a Comic Role for Dishoom, Saif joked that the actor had made it big in the industry because of his father. “You are here because of your papa,” Saif quipped. Varun said: “And you’re here because of your mummy (veteran actor Sharmila Tagore).”
Karan then promptly added: “I am here because of my papa (late filmmaker Yash Johar).” They then said in unison: “Nepotism rocks”. The trio then broke into Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham song, ‘Bole Churiyan, Bole Kangana’, to which Karan said “Kangana na hi bole toh accha hai (It’s better if Kangana doesn’t speak).”
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
Akshay Oberoi: Acting is not a sport or a game, you’re just competing with yourself and your last performance
- Called a 'truly clueless, uneducated, stupid human being' on Twitter, Kangana Ranaut said that her tweets are intended for 'high IQ people'.
- Babil Khan got emotional as he stumbled upon old messages from his father, the late Irrfan Khan, while deleting unnecessary texts from his phone.
- Hrithik Roshan, in an interview in 2017, said that he was at a good place in his life and was not thinking about getting married again. He was previously married to Sussanne Khan.
- Parineeti Chopra reminisced about many of her firsts in a new video for Netflix India. Watch it here.
- Bipasha Basu and her husband, Karan Singh Grover, have been keeping their fans updated with their adventures in the Maldives. See their pictures here.
- Milind Soman and his wife, Ankita Konwar, took to Instagram on Saturday to celebrate seven years of their relationship. See the pictures here.
- Actor Priyanka Chopra on Saturday passed on her best wishes to the current Miss India contestants, and reminisced about winning the crown two decades ago.
- Ranvir Shorey was asked by a fan if his leg fracture was caused by too much happy dancing after recovering from Covid-19. See his reply here.
- Shilpa Shetty, who is currently vacationing in Maldives, shared another stunning picture of herself. See it here.