Raveena’s Maatr rejected by CBFC? Board member claims screening is on Monday
Raveena Tandon-starrer Maatr has run into trouble with the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) over the use of expletives in the film.
The board members reportedly walked out of a screening of the film earlier this week and after watching the film on Saturday, they have rejected the film - practically banning it for the time.
A report in Quint quoted a source as saying, “Maatr has graphic and gruesome violence against women. The film is carpeted with maa-bahen expletives. We can’t even recommend that the abuses be beeped as they run through the course of the film in an ongoing rush of profanity.”
However, a censor board member told Hindustan Times that the report is incorrect. “The film’s producer informed us that the film is being screened for the Certification Board on Monday. So how can we say that certification has been refused?” the member said.
“Rape sequences are always tricky. We never know when they stop becoming shocking and get into the voyeuristic/titillating zone. In Maatr, the women’s violation is subject to allegations of excessive elaboration. Though the film is well-intended and hard-hitting, we cannot take the risk of incurring the wrath of organizations devoted to prevention of violation against women,” the source further said.
CBFC chief Pahlaj Nihalani told the website, “We have done our best to accommodate this film’s requirements. We even opened the CBFC office on Saturday, a non-working-day, to re-view the film.”
The makers of Maatr have the option of approaching the Film Certificate Appellate Tribunal (FCAT)
Raveena Tandon plays the titular role in Maatr. Written by Michael Pellico and directed by Ashtar Sayed, Maatr is scheduled to hit theatres on April 21. Maatr also features Madhur Mittal and Divya Jagdale in significant roles.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Filmmaker-actor Divya Khosla Kumar has spoken about her journey, and how she didn't want to join the film industry when she first moved to Mumbai.
- Actor Rajkummar Rao isn't over his obsession with Shah Rukh Khan. He has often spoken about his love for SRK.
- As actors Kareena Kapoor and Saif Ali Khan prepare to move into their house, their designer gave an insight into all the amenities the new home will have.
- Did you know that Pranutan Bahl and Kajol are related? Here's what the young actor has to say about her equation with 'Kajol bua'.
- Taimur Ali Khan was fascinated by a cow outside his Fortune Heights residence. He folded his hands and enjoyed its owner playing film songs on his wind instrument.
- Actor Salman Khan prepared some raw onion pickle in a new video shared by his 'sister', Bina Kak. Watch video here.