National Film Awards: Neerja best Hindi film, Akshay Kumar best actor
The 64th National Film Awards were announced on Friday. Sonam Kapoor’s hijack drama Neerja bagged the Best Hindi film for the year 2016. Akshay Kumar was also among the big winners grabbing the Best Actor award for Rustom.
Marathi film, Kasav, won the award for Best Feature Film.
Filmmaker Priyadarshan was the chairperson of the jury in feature films category, while nationally acclaimed cinematographer and a writer Raju Misra was the chairperson in non-feature category. The jury considered 344 films from 26 languages for the feature films category of awards.
Directed by Ram Madhvani, Neerja is based on the life of a brave airhostess Neerja Bhanot who was killed during the hijack of Pan Am Flight 73 in Karachi, Pakistan, on 5 September 1986. The film was praised by the critics and the audience alike.
Akshay Kumar’s Rustom was loosely based on a true story and he played a naval officer in the film who is accused of killing his wife’s lover.
Amitabh Bachchan’s Pink got the Award for Best Film on Social Issues.
Nagesh Kukunoor’s Dhanak grabbed the Best Children Film while The Eyes Of Darkness received a Special Mention.
Surabhi C.M. was named Best Actress for Malayalam movie Minnaminungu - The Firefly. Surabhi has been honoured for showcasing her brilliance in portraying pain and ecstasy of a mother in a deplorable social condition in the Malayalam film. The movie also won the Best Film Award in Non Feature category.
Manipuri film, Loktak Lairembee, won the Award for Best Film on Environment Conservation.
In the Best Supporting Actor category, veteran actor Manoj Joshi has won for Marathi film Dashakriya, and among the actresses, Kashmiri actor Zaira Wasim’s “portrayal of a female sportsperson’s battle with the society with utmost maturity” in Dangal has been awarded by the jury. Zaira had played young Geeta Phogat in Dangal.
Rajesh Mapuska was named the best director for his Marathi film Ventilator while the Marathi film Kaasav was named the best National Film Awards.
Special Jury Award in the Feature category was given to Mohanlal for his mastery in dealing with characters of various shades with unparallel acting brilliance.
Sathamanam Bhavathi received the award for Best Popular Film providing Wholesome Entertainment.
The state of Uttar Pradesh was awarded the Most Film Friendly State award for implementing a unique film policy. The state’s film policy includes various measures to create a suitable environment, which not only invited shooting of films on a large scale in the State but also promoted other activities related to various aspects of film production including financial incentives for filmmakers. The state of Jharkhand bagged Special Mention Award for their film policy which provides growth opportunities to the local filmmaking talent from within the State.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- John Abraham posed for a slightly different picture on Tuesday. He was seen posing with nothing but a pillow as he waited for his clothes on film sets.
- Anushka Sharma gave fans a look at the view of the sea from her Mumbai home. Anushka has been enjoying life as a new mother since welcoming daughter Vamika in January.
- Bipasha Basu has shared Bipapictures of herself and a funny video of her husband Karan Singh Grover from their Maldives vacation. Check them out here.
- Happy birthday Tiger Shroff: If you thought the Baaghi's star's features were hard to define and did not fit into the more desi definition of good looks, then you must read about his family background.
- Deepika Padukone, in her new Instagram post, talked about her daily routine. She also revealed whether she '(plans) a lot'. Watch the video here.
- Arshi Khan has said that Salman Khan introduced her to Iulia Vantur at the Bigg Boss 14 after-party, and said that he wants her to learn Urdu.
- Ankita Lokhande, in an Instagram live, talked about going through depression but not opening up about it. She said that she did not have anyone to support her except her family and some fans.
- Bhumi Pednekar shared a number of behind-the-scenes photos and videos from the making of Sonchiriya as the film completed two years of its release. She included a special dedication for Sushant Singh Rajput.
- As Karisma Kapoor showed off her figure in a new Instagram post, Manish Malhotra and Sophie Choudry were reminded of her Dil To Pagal Hai days.