Pooja Bhatt is almost 4 years sober, says she now understands why it’s seen as courageous to speak up about addiction
Actor-filmmaker Pooja Bhatt has shared a new Instagram post, talking about her journey to sobriety. She is now three years and nine months sober.
Pooja, who struggled with alcoholism, is looking forward to completing four years of sobriety soon. “Three yrs & nine months sober today. One more quarter and I will be four .As someone who drank openly,I chose to recover openly.I truly felt it was important to share my journey to tell others,women especially, who might be struggling that they are not alone & if I could do it so could they,” she said.
She says she understands why speaking up about one’s addiction is considered an act of courage. “Was ridiculed by some but lauded for being courageous by most. I wondered why people termed speaking openly about addiction issues courageous. And also why there is an ‘anonymous’ attached to groups that help you recover. I understand more than ever today that it’s because people simplify/stigmatise addictive behaviour & tend to criminalise it without attempting to understand why someone used a substance to begin with.” she wrote in her post.
Pooja said that alcohol was her drug of choice. “Alcohol is a drug,and was my drug of choice.Just because it is socially acceptable does not mean it is not. I have had to make more excuses for NOT drinking in the last few yrs than I ever have for drinking-to friends,foes and ‘well’ meaning acquaintances alike,” she said. Her comment comes at a time when a few Bollywood stars have appeared on the Narcotic Control Bureau’s radar for allegedly buying and consuming drugs.
“A fractured society can only heal & evolve when we attempt to ‘understand’ instead of constantly standing in judgement. When we empathise instead of vilify. Until then and even beyond, I will continue to speak from a place of compassion & truth,in the hope that there is ONE person out there I could goad to start on their own journey of sobriety and stay on their path. So help me God! #sobrietyrocks #eachonereachone #eachonehealone #onedayatatime #onestepatatime #youarenotalone,” she wrote. Pooja has often talk about her struggle with addiction and how she finally decided to change her ways.
Pooja was last seen in her father Mahesh Bhatt’s Sadak 2. Her younger sister, Alia Bhatt, played the lead while Sanjay Dutt took on the role from the original.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Twitter has offered reasons behind the restrictions that were made to Kangana Ranaut's account for a brief time.
- Kangana Ranaut went back on an earlier tweet in which she claimed that she isn't interested in seeing anyone's leaked messages or emails when she was questioned about her comments on Deepika Padukone and Rhea Chakraborty's leaked WhatsApp chats.
- Preity Zinta shared a sneak peek from her road trip with husband Gene Goodenough. She posted a loved-up snap of him carrying her in his arms.
- Vikas Khanna revealed that he was asked to pay money in exchange for favourable reviews of his directorial debut, The Last Color. He said that he will never forget it.
- Filmmaker Pooja Bhatt has written a note about feeling the temptation to drink, and how she dealt with it. She has been sober for four years.
- Actor Maanvi Gagroo, who has appeared in Four More Shots Please! and Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan, complained to an OTT platform after its name was used as bait by someone who told her she had to 'compromise' for a role.
- Shahid Kapoor's wife, Mira Rajput, has shared new posts from their Goa vacation. Check them out.
- Sushmita Sen's daughter Renee said that she never felt the need to know about her biological parents. She also expressed her desire to adopt children someday.