Delhi govt’s anti-dengue campaign kicks off on Sunday
The Delhi government will kick-start the second edition of its #10Hafte10Baje10Minute (10 weeks, 10 ’o’ clock, 10 minutes) campaign against dengue and other vector-borne diseases from Sunday.Updated: Sep 06, 2020, 01:20 IST
The Delhi government will kick-start the second edition of its #10Hafte10Baje10Minute (10 weeks, 10 ’o’ clock, 10 minutes) campaign against dengue and other vector-borne diseases from Sunday.
The 10-week mass awareness programme will be launched by chief minister Arvind Kejriwal at 10am, during which he and his family will devote 10 minutes to inspect his own residence for stagnant clean water and clean it to avoid breeding of mosquitoes and prevent the spread of diseases such as dengue, malaria and chikungunya.
“Last year, when we launched the 10 Hafte, 10 Baje, 10 Minute campaign, we were successfully able to defeat dengue by the collective efforts of the people of Delhi and the government. The fatality rate due to dengue was negligible. This year also, the Delhi government will fight dengue by making the people of Delhi partners in its campaign against mosquito breeding,” Delhi health minister Satyendar Jain said.
Under the campaign, citizens must inspect their homes for any possible sources of stagnant clean water, which can lead to the breeding of Aedes mosquitoes that spread vector-borne diseases.
After the first week of the launch of the Delhi government’s flagship campaign, doctors will be asked to share advice on dos and don’ts to prevent dengue in the second week.
“The campaign seeks to engage residents to pick up the phone and call 10 of their friends/relatives and advise them on the good practices of preventing dengue. Resident welfare associations (RWAs) will be asked to come together and help in the fight against dengue and promote the campaign. Many celebrities and social media influencers will take part in the campaign by recording themselves following the good practices advised during the campaign and subsequently share their videos through various social media channels,” the chief minister’s office said in a statement.
Children will be encouraged to take part in the campaign by assigning them homework on behalf of schools and asking them to call their friends to encourage them to take part in it, the government said.
It said neighbourhoods will be encouraged to follow good practices of preventing dengue and promote them in their neighbourhood and surrounding areas. Offices will be encouraged to follow the drive and promote it.
Last year, when the campaign was first launched by the Delhi government, a number of celebrities such as former India cricketer Kapil Dev had joined the drive.
“It is because of the campaign that in 2019, there were only 2,036 dengue cases in Delhi and two deaths, as compared to 2015, when 15,867 dengue cases were registered and as many as 60 people had died,” the chief minister’s office said in its statement.