Will pray at six designated sites, areas with no disruptions in Gurugram, say Muslims

Hindu groups have been protesting against Friday namaz in public spaces in Gurugram for the past three years. In 2018, the administration designated 37 sites for Muslims to pray on Fridays
Muslims offer namaz in a park at Udyog Vihar in Gurugram on December 31, 2021. (Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)
Muslims offer namaz in a park at Udyog Vihar in Gurugram on December 31, 2021. (Vipin Kumar/HT PHOTO)
Published on Jan 06, 2022 11:27 PM IST
Copy Link

The Muslim community on Thursday said they will offer Friday prayers at the six designated sites and in open spaces where there were no disruptions last week by Hindu right-wing members, and also urged the district administration to deploy police personnel at these sites to ensure safety and security of those who gather to pray.

Last week Muslims offered Friday prayers in the open at Shankar Chowk, Udyog Vihar, Palam Vihar, and sectors 12, 29, 44, and 45. A group of Sanyukt Hindu Sangharsh Samiti, an umbrella body of Hindu right-wing groups that is leading the protests against namaz in open spaces, gathered at Shankar Chowk before the namaz congregation assembled but were made to retreat by police teams deployed there.

Hindu groups have been protesting against Friday namaz in public spaces in Gurugram for the past three years. In 2018, the administration designated 37 sites for Muslims to pray on Fridays. However, last November, the number of sites was reduced to 20 after members of right-wing groups and locals started protesting against Friday prayers and disrupted namaz gatherings at several places. Muslim groups claim that they are forced to use public spaces as there are not enough mosques in the city -- there are only 13 mosques in Gurugram.

“We will, as usual, visit our designated spots to offer namaz and police will be responsible if any untoward incident happens at any of these spots,” said a senior member of Gurgaon Muslim Council, requesting anonymity.

Right-wing members said they will continue to protest against namaz in the open and will ensure no one is allowed to use any public place for Friday prayers.

Mahavir Bhardwaj, president of Sanyukt Hindu Sangharsh Samiti, said, “The Gurugram Imam Sanghathan had agreed to not offer namaz in the open but Muslims are again using public spaces to offer namaz, leading to confrontations. We have already agreed to six places but they are again trying to encroach on parks and grounds which will not be tolerated. Last Friday, we did not do anything but this Friday, if Muslims offer namaz in any place other than the six designated sites, we will protest there,” he said.

Kulbhushan Bhardwaj, legal advisor of the samiti, said they are ready with teams and will keep a check on spots where Muslims offer namaz. “We will not allow them to offer prayers in the open and if they do, we will disrupt the proceedings,” he said.

Police said they have deployed a team of 50 personnel at each spot and will ensure law and order in the city.

Aman Yadav, assistant commissioner of police, said anyone caught disrupting namaz will be arrested on the spot. “No one will be allowed to visit any public place to create a ruckus. No right-wing group will be allowed to enter sites where Friday prayers will be offered,” he said.

Meanwhile, Mohammad Adeeb, a former Rajya Sabha member who is leading a 21-member committee to resolve the ongoing namaz issue, on Thursday said he was planning to approach Punjab and Haryana high court to quash the FIR filed against him and two others , registered on Wednesday on the basis of a complaint filed by a right-wing activist who has been involved in protests against namaz on public land.

The FIR was registered at Sector 40 police station under sections 153 (wantonly giving provocation with intent to cause riot) and 34 (common intention) of the Indian Penal Code. “I am consulting my lawyer to approach the high court against the FIR registered against us. The people behind this case will have to withdraw the complaint as it is baseless and mala fide,” he said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
  • ABOUT THE AUTHOR

    Leena Dhankhar has worked with Hindustan Times for five years. She has covered crime, traffic and excise. She now reports on civic issues and grievances of residents.

Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Chief minister Uddhav Thackeray has been asked to prove the majority of his government in the assembly on Thursday. (ANI)

    Eye on floor test, leaders huddle, Uddhav to meet cabinet at 5pm | Top points

    Maharashtra chief minister Uddhav Thackeray will chair a meeting of the state cabinet at 5pm on Thursday ahead of the crucial floor test set to be held a day later. A meeting of Congress leaders was underway in Mumbai to discuss their strategy ahead of the scheduled floor test. Follow live updates here: Party leaders, including Ashok Chavan, Nana Patole, Balasaheb Thorat, Sunil Kedar, Charan Singh Sapra and Nitin Raut are attending the meeting.

  • Representational image. (Shutterstock Photo)

    Cyber cell launches probe into fake profile created in the name of Dehradun DM

    The cyber cell of Dehradun police has launched a probe after some anti-social elements created a fake WhatsApp profile of the police informed on Wednesday, Dehradun district magistrate R Rajesh Kumar. The alert was issued by the district magistrate, who raised a complaint to the cyber cell for immediate action into the matter. An investigation has begun, and the number has been traced to Rajasthan, he said.

  • BMTC buses may flock to regular petrol bunks to refuel their fleet of buses as retail outlets that provide diesel in bulk have been instructed not to do so going forward. (Photo by Samuel Rajkumar/ Hindustan Times)

    Bengaluru's BMTC buses may have to flock to private petrol bunks for fuel

    The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation, could have to rely on private fuel stations to refuel its fleet of about 6,700 buses as oil companies have instructed retail outlets not to supply diesel in bulk because it is against the rules, news agency PTI reported. A senior BMTC official told PTI buses are refuelled at depots where they have diesel stock for about a week.

  • A water-logged street at Nayagaon in Chandigarh after the showers on Wednesday morning. (Keshav Singh/HT)

    Pre-monsoon showers cool down Chandigarh

    Chandigarh and its adjoining towns of Panchkula and Mohali received the much-awaited pre-monsoon showers on Wednesday morning that brought a significant drop in the mercury and relief from the sweltering heat. According to the India Meteorological Department, rain is forecast with the onset of monsoon by July 1 when the entire region will be covered. In Chandigarh, the night temperature was 28 degrees, a 3.4 degree fall in the past 24 hours.

  • KPCC President DK Shivakumar in Bengaluru. (ANI Photo/ ANI Pic Service)

    Not aware of ED chargesheet's contents, says Karnataka Cong chief DK Shivakumar

    Karnataka Congress president D K Shivakumar, who is slated to appear before a Delhi court later this week in connection with a money laundering case, on Tuesday said Shivakumar is not aware about the contents of Enforcement Directorate's charge sheet against him and is yet to receive a copy of it. A Delhi court last month summoned him and others in a money laundering case registered against him in 2018.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, June 29, 2022