Cop suspended for being involved in illegal sand mining
The police on Sunday suspended a constable for his involvement in illegal sand mining in Dehradun. The suspended constable has been identified as Ashwini Sharma.
On Saturday night, he was allegedly trying to facilitate passage of a truck loaded with illegally mined sand in Vikasnagar area of the city. When a jawan of the Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) tried to stop him, he reportedly got into a scuffle with him. Following this, the PAC jawan fired at Sharma but the bullet missed the target.
The incident took place at bridge number two on Shakti Canal. At a time when cases of illegal sand mining are regularly surfacing in the city, involvement of a police constable and the scuffle with the PAC jawan, comes as an embarrassment for the police.
SSP Nivedita Kukreti Kumar said: “It was an accidental firing by the PAC jawan. We have suspended the cop for being drunk on duty and being involved in sand mining. The PAC commandant has been informed and futher action will be taken.”
The PAC is a reserve force and has been deployed in certain parts of the state to check illegal sand mining.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BJP leaders said that the CM left for Delhi with a few party MLAs and would apprise the central leadership of the political situation in the state
- Police took Harswroop into custody and questioned him, which led to the recovery of the child’s body, stuffed in a bag from his room.
- Last month on February 22 in a similar incident, an elephant had mowed down a person at Phoolchatti road near Neelkanth shrine
- Congress MLA Pritam objected to the curtailing of Haridwar Maha Kumbh to one month on the pretext of Coronavirus pandemic.
- The declaration was made by the CM in his budgetary speech on March 4 under which the new division would comprise four districts.
- Several studies in the past month have said that the tragedy was because of man-made reasons.
- It was speculated that several ministers were not consulted before declaring Gairsain as the third administrative division of the state.
- The report by Kathmandu-based ICIMOD, which was released on Friday, found that a crack had formed prior to the incident at the site where the rock detachment led to a rockslide from the Raunti peak.
- The CM said, "There have been incidents of family disputes between couples that go to court during which women face issues with maintenance."
- The budget contains the vision of a self-reliant Uttarakhand which is essential to the realisation of Prime Minister Narendra Modi's vision of a self-reliant India, Uttarakhand CM said.