U’khand: 100 people have a narrow escape as Ganga level rises
More than a 100 people who were attending a religious discourse had a narrow escape when the water level rose suddenly in the Ganga River in the temple town of Rishikesh.
According to the police, the water level increased after Tehri Dam released water, a routine exercise that is done after informing officials concerned. CD Anthwal, circle officer Rishikesh told HT that the people attending the religious discourse were rescued with the help personnel of the Jal Police (water police).
According to sources, disciples of Gopal Mani had organised a religious discourse at Triveni Ghat island. His disciples reached the spot after crossing a canal like stream in the main Ganga river that flows a few metres away. Police said the organisers were not informed whether water was being released from the Tehri Dam.
“It seems there was lack of communication. Police received information from a few of those attending the religious discourse. Teams were immediately rushed to the spot with life jackets. The operation was completed in some time,” the circle officer told HT over phone.
He said an accident could have occurred. Meanwhile the Tehri Dam authorities said that they had informed Tehri district administration but seems the information was not shared further.
Tehri Dam, which is some 80 km from Rishikesh releases water at intervals but as a precautionary measure, the people concerned at different spots are informed in advance.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Chief wildlife warden can declare any wild animal as a threat to human life and as such fit to be destroyed under the Wildlife Protection Act.
- The Akhil Bharatiya Akhada Parishad has termed the restrictions as 'stern measures'.
- Uttarakhand government has been seeking Green Bonus as compensation for the conservation of its forests by not expanding the industrial development.
- Indira Hridayesh, Uttarakhand leader of opposition, rubbished the rumours and said that she is in a very important position in Congress.
- The boy's link with the online platform came to light after police officials went through his mobile phone on Wednesday.
- The initiative, Bhuli (sister in Garhwali language) Kanyadan, is the brainchild of Devprayag station house officer.
- Three control rooms will also be made at three UP’s three districts of Muzaffarnagar, Bijnor and Saharanpur bordering Uttarakhand for effective sharing of information and intelligence.
- The HC found that the civil judge had separated the criminal case in his court filed against the accused without there being any valid reason.
- The demand comes months after the Centre decided to discontinue the Centre for Glaciology project in Uttarakhand.
- Among the six bodies, five were found on Saturday late night while one was found on Sunday morning.