1,000 students go on rampage | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 16, 2018-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

1,000 students go on rampage

Large-scale violence erupted in the Modi Nagar industrial township on National Highway (NH)-58 on Thursday morning. Peeyush Khandelwal reports.

delhi Updated: Aug 18, 2011 23:35 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times

Large-scale violence erupted in the Modi Nagar industrial township on National Highway (NH)-58 on Thursday morning. More than 1,000 students from Dr KN Modi Science and Commerce inter-college indulged in rioting and arson and fought pitched battles with the police after a Class 11 student was run over by a bus belonging to Uttar Pradesh (UP) Roadways in front of the college.

How it happened
The accident occurred when Kapil Sharma was trying to cross NH-58 around 7.30am. While crossing, he slipped and fell on the road and was run over by the approaching bus.

Initially, incensed students and local politicians prevented the police from removing the dead body for post-mortem. Later, over 1,000 students, aged between 15 and 18 years, from the victim's inter-college took to the streets and burnt at least 12 buses.

No one spared
"Amid stone-pelting and rioting, passengers, especially women, were robbed of gold-chain, earrings and other valuables. The rioters were later joined by anti-social elements," said JK Shahi, superintendent of police. Around 26 buses, plying on the highway, were ransacked and passengers looted.

Rioters set afire the Niwari police post and a fire tender that arrived to douse flames. "They broke open our suitcases and fled with cash and other belongings. They also set ablaze the record room and some two-wheelers," said constable Succha Singh.

Around a dozen vehicles parked inside and near the police post were reduced to ashes by the unruly mob in a rampage lasting about 90 minutes. Over a dozen policemen were injured in the mob attack.

NH-58 shut for 5 hrs
The entire Modi Nagar town (about 50kms from Delhi) and NH-58 remained shut for around five hours.

After 3pm, over 1,000 armed policemen took out a flag march in the town. "We will book the college administration and local leaders under stringent sections, along with 20-25 other persons, who have been identified," said Raghubir Lal, senior superintendent of police.

Meanwhile, SK Agarwal, principal, Dr KN Modi inter-college told Hindustan Times, "The police entered our premises twice and resorted to cane-charge on our students, who were already angry after the death of their friend. Policemen misbehaved with our staff and their actions instigated students. Locals also joined them during the violence."

First Published: Aug 18, 2011 23:32 IST