15-year-old dies, friend hurt after touching electric pole
delhi Updated: Jun 13, 2016 11:40 IST
NEW DELHI: A 15-year-old boy, Aabid, died and an eight-year-old, Zishan, sustained injuries after they touched an electric pole at Shaheed Nagar in Sahibabad, police said.
The incident occurred at 8pm on Sunday when the two friends were crossing the street holding hands.
According to the police, Aabid and Zishan were holding hands while on their way back home on Sunday and Aabid accidentally touched an electric pole.
Since the electric pole had current running through it, both children were electrocuted.
“The locals detached Aabid from the pole with the help of wooden sticks after which they were taken to a nearby private hospital. They were then referred to GTB Hospital in Delhi where Aabid died during treatment and Zishan is still critical,” said Ashish Srivastava, circle officer (border).
According to locals, the electric pole had been emitting current since the past few days.
“Some residents had given a complaint to the power corporation regarding the pole but no action was taken. We had also asked them to disconnect the power supply to the pole if it cannot be repaired right away. However, there was no response,” said Jalal Ambi, Zishan’s father.
As per the police, no complaint has been filed so far.
“If we receive a written complaint, we will get the matter investigated,” said Srivastava.
The power department could not be contacted despite several attempts.
First Published: Jun 13, 2016 11:40 IST