Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 21, 2018-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

18-year-old electrocuted atop parked train tanker in Nizamuddin

Some people claim that Ayub Sheikh had climbed the train tanker to click a selfie but his friends said the first year BA student of Jamia Millia Islamia did so only to check if the tanker was carrying petrol or not.

delhi Updated: Mar 07, 2017 12:59 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Nizamuddin boy electrocuted,Nizamuddin electrocution,Jamia boy train accident
The family of Ayyub Sheikh, a first year BA student who got electrocuted atop a train at Nizamuddin on Monday.(Saumya Khandelwal/HT Photo)

A first year Jamia Millia Islamia student in Delhi was electrocuted to death by a high tension wire on Saturday evening. Mohammed Ayyub Sheikh, 18, had climbed atop a parked train tanker at the Nizamuddin railway lines when his body came in contact with the overhead high tension wire.

At around 3 pm on Saturday Sheikh and his elder brother Daud left their Chandni Chowk residence to take food to their sister’s house as part of a ritual. A day earlier their sister got married in Nizamuddin. “It is a tradition to take food to a newly married sibling and her in-laws after day after her wedding,” Ayyub’s father Jamaluddin said. “After delivering the food, Ayyub went out for evening prayers with his three friends at Chilla Nizamuddin (Saint Hazrat Nizamuddin’s house) behind Humayun’s Tomb.”

Read: Two Delhi teenagers killed as video stunt on railway tracks goes wrong

Ayyub friends Sameer, Qutub and Shoaib told police that after prayers, on their way back they saw the train tanker. Though there were reports that Ayyub climbed atop the train to click a selfie, the three denied this and said that they got into a friendly argument over whether the tanker was carrying petrol or diesel. “While he was atop the train, he stood up and was pulled by the current,” said Qutub.

Daud, who was subsequently informed, said. “When I reached the spot the ambulance had not come. We took him to the nearby Jeevan hospital on a scooter. He could not make it.”

Disturbed with reports that Ayyub was clicking a selfie, Daud showed Ayyub’s cellphone, an old Samsung Duos phone which does not have an internal camera. Additional DCP Railways Gyan Singh Meena denied Ayyub had died while clicking a selfie. “The boy climbed to check the oil in the tanker.”

Ayyub had recently got admission at JMI under its Distance Learning BCom programme. Ayyub’s father Jamaluddin, who runs a business of immersion rods, blamed the railways for failing to barricade the danger zone.

Read: India tops ranking for selfie deaths, 76 lives lost since 2014

On Monday afternoon, police handed him his son’s belongings — a Rs 10 note, a small scarf Ayyub’s sister had gifted him the day before and an old Samsung phone with its sides burnt by the high voltage current that killed him.

I took a photo with him’

Passing by India Gate on their way to their sister’s house, Daud said while he was riding, something inside him told him to take a picture with his brother. The two were on a scooter. Ayyub wasn’t wearing a helmet. The traffic police officers were watching but Daud felt he had to stop and take a photo together.

“I was wearing Ayyub’s shirt that day. Despite the traffic police watching us, I stopped the scooter at India Gate and asked a local to take our photograph. We hurriedly left. Two hours later, I got the call that he had died,” Daud told HT showing the photograph.

First Published: Mar 06, 2017 23:39 IST