2 children die after falling into sewer | delhi | Hindustan Times
  • Monday, May 21, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
May 21, 2018-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

2 children die after falling into sewer

Two children died of drowning in two separate incidents in northeast Delhi since Saturday evening, reports HT Correspondent.

delhi Updated: May 18, 2009 00:17 IST
HT Correspondent

Two children died of drowning in two separate incidents in northeast Delhi since Saturday evening.

Trying to catch a kite, a nine-year-old boy fell into a sewer on Saturday evening in Jaffrabad. The incident took place around 6 pm.

Shahid, the son of wrestler Sheju Pehelwan, was playing with his friends.

“He was trying to catch a kite when he slipped and fell into a sewer near Idgah in Welcome area,” said a police officer. Since he is not authorised to talk to the media, the officer requested anonymity.

The residents alleged that despite repeated calls, the police arrived late. Had they acted on time, the child could have been saved, they claimed.

“When the boy’s body could not be traced for three hours, the residents became restless and blocked the Jaffrabad road,” the officer said.

At least six vehicles, including a bus, were damaged by the mob.

“Residents had used sewer pipes to block the road, so traffic had to be diverted,” the officer added.

The body could only be recovered late on Sunday morning. Police have handed it over to his parents.

“As it was a case of drowning, we did not register a case,” said S.S. Yadav, DCP (northeast).

In the second incident, a seven-year-old girl died after she fell into an open manhole in New Ashok Nagar on Sunday morning.

The incident happened when Simran was on her way to get water from a tank.

Her father Virendra Singh said the manhole had been lying open for the past two months.

Police have registered a case of negligence against Delhi Jal Board (DJB) as the drain was left uncovered for repairs.

“As it is a police case, we would not be able to comment,” DJB’s CEO Ramesh Negi said.

The incident was reported around 10.30 am from C Block in New Ashok Nagar and the body was fished out after two hours.