23-year-old electrocuted by laptop charger at his Delhi home
A 23-year-old man was electrocuted on Sunday afternoon while he was working on his laptop at his house in south-east Delhi’s Tughlaqabad Extension.delhi Updated: May 23, 2016 23:15 IST
A 23-year-old man was electrocuted on Sunday afternoon while he was working on his laptop at his house in south-east Delhi’s Tughlaqabad Extension.
The man, Brijesh Kumar, worked as a manager at an export firm in Faridabad. Brijesh’s laptop was charging when the accident took place. It was not clear whether 23-year-old manager was electrocuted because of the charger or the device.
Police said they received information about the incident from Majeedia Hospital in Tughlaqabad around 4 pm. Brijesh’ family members had taken him to the hospital.
An investigating officer said a doctor at the Majeedia Hospital told the police that Brijesh had died before he was brought for medical attention.
“Our officers visited the spot and inspected the house. Prima facie, it appears he was using an extension cord to charge his laptop. His hand got caught in it and he was electrocuted. His wife was in shock, so we have not been able to take her statement. We have asked her to say what happened,” said a senior police officer.
Police seized the laptop and sent it for forensic examination. They said that contrary to rumours, there was no explosion in the laptop. “There are some marks on his fingers that suggest Brijesh died of electrocution. There seems to be no foul play. His body has been sent for post-mortem. The findings will confirm the cause of death,” said Vijay Kumar, additional deputy commissioner of police (South East).
Brijesh lived with his wife and parents at a rented house in Tughlaqabad Extension. The landlord, Om Pal, reportedly stays in Noida, and had visited the family soon after he heard about Brijesh’s death. His parents lived on the first floor. The couple had got married on February 26.
Brijesh’s last rites were performed on Monday afternoon. The family was in shock and could not recount what had happened. Even the neighbours did not know the exact sequence of events that led to Brijesh’s death.
“They family has not eaten since Sunday. All of us are in grief,” said a neighbour.
“Brijesh was a nice and humble person. I know the family well, as they have been staying here for a long time,” said Habibuddin, who runs a shop near Brijesh’s house.
First Published: May 23, 2016 23:10 IST