Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 14, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

A day of horror, anxiety for Delhi

For 24-year-old Rajni Bakshi, the horror that began at 10.12am on Wednesday is yet to end.

delhi Updated: Sep 08, 2011 00:27 IST
Rajat Arora
Rajat Arora
Hindustan Times

For 24-year-old Rajni Bakshi, the horror that began at 10.12am on Wednesday is yet to end.

Within minutes after the bomb went off at Delhi high court, Bakshi lost no time in reaching Safdarjang Hospital, thinking that her husband, Mridul, must have been admitted there as one of the injured in the blast.

However, after spending nearly an hour asking doctors, nurses and security guards about her husband’s whereabouts, a disappointed Bakshi rushed to the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital with her in-laws. The situation at RML Hospital was no different. Bakshi, a resident of West Delhi’s Uttam Nagar, even retorted to asking media persons to help her locate her husband.

“After spending nearly four hours at the hospital, we finally got to know that was had been critically injured and was being operated,” said Bakshi, who has a five month old son. At around 10.30pm on Wednesday, Mridul, a salesman with a private company, was being operated upon for brain injury.

He had gone to the high court for some company-related case.

Niyaz Ahmad, a car mechanic had come from Daryaganj to look for his son. His son Allaudin (40) had gone to the Delhi high court for hearing of a civil case. “I have been here for four yours but still I am unable to find my son. The authorities say they have no clue about my son,” said Ahmad. After spending nearly five hours at the hospital, Ahmad finally found his son, who was undergoing a major surgery.

Pathiran (55), manager with Tuticorin Port Trust, had come from Tamil Nadu on Tuesday evening to represent his state government in a case. He was standing in the queue to get the pass made when the bomb blast went off. “I was there with him when the blast occurred. After the incident, I found him lying in a pool of blood and immediately rushed him to the hospital. He has lost both his legs and his situation is critical,” said Lawyer Needu Maran.

Liyakat Ali, 51, is at the RML Hospital recuperating from a ruptured chest. His family had a tough time locating their son as the authorities were of little help. “We had a harrowing time locating our son at RML Hospital. After a long wait, we got to know that our son had a ruptured chest. He is in the hospital and recuperating,” says Rashad Ali, Liyakat’s relative.

First Published: Sep 08, 2011 00:24 IST