Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 21, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Almost perfect crime

It was a fool-proof plan to get out of a financial mess and Ajay Gupta almost succeeded in it. HT reports

delhi Updated: Dec 12, 2010 00:41 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

It was a fool-proof plan to get out of a financial mess and Ajay Gupta almost succeeded in it.

The 46-year-old contractor went to elaborate lengths to make his suicide look like a murder so that his family could get his Rs 10-crore insurance to pay the debts he had left behind.

The Adarsh Nagar-based businessman, survived by his wife and two daughters, died after consuming poison. When Gupta did not return home on November 30, his family lodged a case of abduction.

A day later, an unidentified body was found near Khayala that later turned out to be that of Gupta and a case of murder was registered. His car and valuables were found missing.

The police later arrested two men - Vinay Sinha and Sunil Kumar Lakra - who had fled with his Honda City car and the valuables after they found him in an unconscious state at a desolate place near Khayala.

"During investigations we found out Gupta had an insurance of around Rs 10 crore in his name and wanted to pass of his suicide as a murder so that his family could claim the money," said Karnal Singh, joint commissioner of police (northern range).

"There were no external injuries on his body. The call details of the victim were scrutinized and all the persons he talked to on November 30 were interrogated," the officer said.

"He often talked about committing suicide to his friend Rajesh Wasan," said Meenu Chowdhury, deputy commissioner of police (northwest).

On November 30, he asked Wasan to call him from a public booth in ITO. Gupta then called up a PCR, claiming he had received a threat call.

Gupta also called up his brother-in-law Ajay Bansal who owns a farm house in Nangloi and asked him if he can fix up a meeting with two men from Kota at his farmhouse.

Gupta tried to use his differences with an executive engineer in Rajasthan to fake own murder. He had done some work in Jaipur and Kota for the engineer, who did not release Gupta's payment of Rs 4 crore. He then captured on camera the engineer asking for bribe. Gupta then complained to the authorities.

The meeting at the farmhouse, which never took place, was Gupta's ploy to make it look like as if he was killed by the men he had allegedly met.

While scrutinizing Gupta's call details, the officer said, it was found that on November 29, he had visited Seelampur twice and met a local, Ashraf.

"Gupta asked Ashraf to arrange for a pistol or poison for him. He said he wanted it for a friend from Jaipur," the officer said.

First Published: Dec 12, 2010 00:20 IST