Aspiring singer charred to death in Mayur Vihar
A 20-year-old aspiring Haryanavi singer was found charred to death under mysterious circumstances at his uncle's flat in east Delhi's Mayur Vihar Phase-III, where a fire broke out due to short-circuit on late Friday night.delhi Updated: Apr 14, 2012 23:45 IST
A 20-year-old aspiring Haryanavi singer was found charred to death under mysterious circumstances at his uncle's flat in east Delhi's Mayur Vihar Phase-III, where a fire broke out due to short-circuit on late Friday night.
The police suspect that the young singer, identified as Rahul Chaudhary, died possibly due to electrocution since an electric wire was found in his hand when they found his charred body on the bed. A case in connection with the incident has been registered at the New Ashok Nagar police station and the matter is being investigated, the police said.
According to a senior police officer, the incident was reported at 11.30pm from pocket 2 in Mayur Vihar Phase-III.
"The call was regarding a fire at a flat and fire tenders were immediately rushed to the spot to douse the flames. Chaudhary's body was found badly charred on a bed in the bedroom. The body was sent to Lal Bahadur Shastri Hospital for post mortem examination. Apparently, the victim was trying to fix a plug of the cooler when he probably got electrocuted and that led to short-circuit," said the senior officer.
Prabhakar, DCP (east) denied possibility of any foul play in Chaudhary's death, saying the main door of the flat was bolted from inside.
"We are waiting for the post mortem report before coming to any conclusion over the cause of his death," added Prabhakar.
Chaudhary, son of Chandu Singh who is also small-time Haryanavi singer, was pursuing his Class 12 from distant learning. On Friday night, he had gone to his uncle Subhash's house to spend the night as his uncle was in Meerut with his family to attend a wedding.
It was Chetan Kumar, a neighbour, who saw smoke coming out of Subhash's house and alerted other neighbours. Within minutes, the fire engulfed the entire flat and one of the neighbours made a call to the police control room, the officer added.
First Published: Apr 14, 2012 23:43 IST