‘Bawana landfill won’t be another eyesore’
You won’t see a garbage hill in Bawana, claimed officials regarding the Capital’s newest landfill site.delhi Updated: Jun 05, 2013 01:11 IST
You won’t see a garbage hill in Bawana, claimed officials regarding the Capital’s newest landfill site.
“There are three other sites in the city which are dumping grounds, not treatment facilities. The one at Narela-Bawana won’t simply be a dumping site. If you are treating it, you are reducing volume and only the inert waste will go to sanitary landfill sites,” said an official of Ramky Enviro Engineers Ltd on Tuesday at the sidelines of a presentation on integrated project for waste management in association with North Delhi Municipal Corporation.
“Only 10% of the garbage will be used for composting; the rest 90% will be used in the waste-to-energy plant, thereby providing more life to the landfill site,” he added.
The Capital’s three existing dumping sites at Bhalswa, Okhla and Ghazipur have exhausted their capacity and are mountains of waste. But the three municipal corporations continue to dump garbage because of lack of alternative sites despite repeated court orders and demands.
According to the official, the waste-to-energy plant at Bawana, to be completed by August-end and start functioning by November, will look like “a five-star hotel”.
“This plant will follow a pattern adopted in China and will be quite high-tech, not only in terms of facilities but also looks. It will initially generate 13MW of electricity with 1,300MT of garbage. This will later be enhanced to 35MW from 4,000MT,” he said.
The three municipal corporations have been offered a list of 10 possible sanitary landfill sites in a recent meeting with officials of the urban development ministry, the Delhi Development Authority and other stakeholders.
First Published: Jun 05, 2013 01:09 IST