Blaze at Rohini building, 1 dead
A 22-year-old youth died and three others suffered serious burn injuries after a major fire broke out at a guest house in outer Delhi’s Rohini Sector-8 on Saturday morning.delhi Updated: Mar 23, 2013 23:22 IST
A 22-year-old youth died and three others suffered serious burn injuries after a major fire broke out at a guest house in outer Delhi’s Rohini Sector-8 on Saturday morning.
The fire broke out around 3 am and 10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot to douse the blaze, fire officials said. A short-circuit in an air-conditioner is suspected to be the prime cause of fire but the police are probing all angles.
The person who lost his life in the fire was identified as Noor Ahmad. The injured have been identified as Ahmad’s younger brother Mohammad Danish, Wasir Alam and Saroj. They are undergoing treatment at Lok Nayak hospital in central Delhi.
Police said the victims were workers and were busy in renovation work on the top two floors of the four-storey building of Maharaja Agrasen Bhawan guest house when the fire broke out.
“We received a call around 3:10 am and 10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot to control the blaze. All the four victims were rescued and immediately rushed to Baba Saheb Ambedkar hospital where one of them was pronounced dead on arrival . The other injured were referred to LN hospital,” said a police officer.
The guest house is run by a trust named Aggarwal Sabha. Pawan Gupta, the president of the trust, told the police that renovation work was going on for the past few days.
“We have learnt that the victims worked till late in the night and used to sleep in the same guest house. Prima facie it seems that they got trapped and could not come out of the building on time. The presence of wooden materials in the building helped the fire,” added the officer.
First Published: Mar 23, 2013 23:20 IST