Blueline buses to continue operations after dec 14
Taking a U-turn from its previous stand that Bluelines will be totally phased out by December 14, Delhi government on Monday said only those buses that have permits till December 14 will be phased out. HT reportsdelhi Updated: Dec 14, 2010 01:13 IST
Taking a U-turn from its previous stand that Bluelines will be totally phased out by December 14, Delhi government on Monday said only those buses that have permits till December 14 will be phased out.
"I had earlier said we will not go to court to extend permits beyond December 14. I stick to my announcement," said Delhi transport minister Arvinder Singh Lovely.
Senior department officials say, Tuesday will be the last day for 823 buses to run on several routes in the city. About 1,430 Blueline buses will still run in some parts of the city even after December 14, a senior transport department officer said.
Officials agreed that the government has decided to phase out all Blueline buses at the earliest. Sources said the government has also argued in the high court that the DTC has enough buses to cater to 40 lakh people who travel by bus every day.
"If the court agrees to the government’s plea, it will come out with a plan to phase out all the buses at the earliest," a transport department official said.
Meanwhile, a 17-year-old boy was mowed down by a Blueline bus in southeast Delhi’s Sarita Vihar area on Monday, police said. "The deceased has been identified as one Raju Singh," police added.