CBI competent to handle alleged 2G scam, no comment: Sibal
Communications minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday declined comment on the raids by the Central Bureau of Investigation on the premises of his predecessor A Raja and associates over the 2G spectrum allocation saying the matter was sub judice.delhi Updated: Dec 08, 2010 14:43 IST
Communications minister Kapil Sibal on Wednesday declined comment on the raids by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on the premises of his predecessor A Raja and associates over the 2G spectrum allocation saying the matter was sub judice.
"CBI is an independent, competent investigating agency. What it does, it does on its own. There is no reaction as fas as we (government) are concerned," Sibal told reporters in New Delhi when asked for his comments on the raids conducted in the capital and Tamil Nadu.
"Now that the matter is pending in the Supreme Court, it is between the Supreme Court and the CBI. The government is not involved at all," the minister said, adding the government had no "problem" if the apex court monitored the issue.
The remarks came after CBI officials said they were searching the Delhi and Tamil Nadu homes of former communications minister Raja as well as the premises of four of his former aides in the ministry in connection with the 2G spectrum probe.
A team of officers reached Raja's 2-A Motilal Nehru Marg residence in New Delhi around 7 a m Raids continued through noon as well as a few places in Tamil Nadu, the home state of Raja, a DMK leader.
"The raids are being held at five places and we are searching further. Raids are on at different locations. It's too early to give an update," CBI director A P Singh told reporters in New Delhi a little after noon.
He said Raja was likely to be questioned soon in the scam.
Other officials whose premises were searched included Raja's former private secretary R K Chandolia, former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, member telecom K Sridhar and deputy director general A K Srivastava.
Raja was forced to resign last month after the Comptroller and Auditor General indicted him in the spectrum allocation scam and for causing loss of between Rs 58,000 crore ($12.8 billion) and Rs 1.76 lakh crore ($40 billion) to the exchequer.
The 2G spectrum saga has also continued to cripple parliament since Nov 10 as the opposition has refused to give up its demand for a parliamentary probe into the scam.
First Published: Dec 08, 2010 14:39 IST