CBI seeks SC nod to share coal scam probe info
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) today approached the Supreme Court seeking modifications of an order barring it from sharing Coalgate probe report with any government agency or officers.delhi Updated: Jul 08, 2013 19:56 IST
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Monday approached the Supreme Court seeking modifications of an order barring it from sharing Coalgate probe report with any government agency or officers.
The probe agency also sought lifting of restrictions on changing its 33-member team investigating the coal blocks allocation scam, which according to the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) caused a presumptive loss of up to R1.86 lakh crore.
The government maintains the CAG’s “presumptive loss” figure is flawed and no loss has taken place because no mining has been done.
In two separate applications in the apex court, the CBI said the scope of the probe was expanding and 13 regular cases and three preliminary enquiries (PEs) had been registered.
The CBI said statutorily it was required to share probe information with the Central Vigilance Commission and various government bodies, including its prosecutors for purposes such as getting sanction, necessary government notifications and for strengthening the case.
“The scope of inquiries/investigation is expanding. However, to comply with the mandate of the statutory provisions, it may be necessary for the CBI to share information with (a) appropriate government for purpose of notification/consent under the act (b) the appropriate authority for the purpose of the approval under the act,” the CBI said.
(with PTI inputs)