CBI to grill Kalmadi today
Embattled Commonwealth Games OC chief Suresh Kalmadi will be questioned by CBI in connection with the agency's probe into alleged financial irregularities in the conduct of the mega sporting event.delhi Updated: Jan 05, 2011 11:28 IST
Embattled Commonwealth Games OC chief Suresh Kalmadi has arrived at the CBI headquarters. Kalmadi will be questioned by CBI in connection with the agency's probe into alleged financial irregularities in the conduct of the mega sporting event.
Official sources said on Tuesday Kalmadi has been asked to come to the CBI office for questioning and he has informed the investigating agency he would make his appearance on Wednesday.
The chief of the Games' Organising Committee is likely to be quizzed on a number of issues regarding the Games including alleged bungling in Queen's Baton Relay.
CBI officials had on Tuesday visited the Games OC office in New Delhi and questioned some officials. Besides they had seized certain documents related to QBR and other contracts with various firms.
The sources said Kalmadi will also be asked questioned about certain contracts given to foreign firms for carrying out overlays work for the games in October last.
The CBI had late last month contacted Kalmadi over phone asking him to appear before it for questioning but the OC chief had said he will be available only after January three.
Kalmadi had earlier on Tuesday said he has not yet heard from the CBI about possible date of his questioning.
"I am yet to hear from the CBI. As and when I am informed, I will be available. I am extending full cooperation to all investigating agencies," Kalmadi said.
The sleuths have grilled Kalmadi's three key aides in connection with the scam. Sources said Manoj Bhori, political advisor to OC head, P K Srivastava and A K Sinha, both assistants to Kalmadi, were also called in for interrogation.
The CBI had earlier conducted raids at the residences of Kalmadi, OC Secretary General Lalit Bhanot, R K Sacheti, who is Joint Director General of the OC, and Sangeeta Welingkar, member of the Games Image and Look Group.
The agency has so far filed three FIRs in connection with the alleged financial irregularities.
While one case is related to a Rs 107-crore deal struck with a Swiss score keeping firm, the CBI had registered two other FIRs in connection with the contract given to AM Films for the Baton Relay ceremonies by the OC in London.
The CBI has decided to approach the Sports Ministry to seek removal of Kalmadi and Bhanot from their posts citing failure of certain junior OC officials to cooperate with it which, it claimed, was hampering the probe.
First Published: Jan 05, 2011 08:32 IST