Cell tower sealing halted
The North Municipal Corporation has decided to postpone its drive to seal illegal mobile phone towers for a few more days.delhi Updated: Dec 15, 2012 00:57 IST
The North Municipal Corporation has decided to postpone its drive to seal illegal mobile phone towers for a few more days.
The municipal body had earlier ordered its officials to start sealing from this week itself.
According to sources, the telecom companies approached the municipal commissioner to give them more time either to regularise the towers or shift them elsewhere.
"Commissioner PK Gupta has called for a meeting with representatives of the companies on Monday to sort out the issue and so the sealing drive has been postponed for now," said a senior official of the North Corporation.
"Many towers are located on top of schools and hospitals. If they are not shifted elsewhere, they will be sealed," he added.
The corporation has so far issued sealing notices to 660 mobile towers that were operating illegally from various areas of the North Delhi.
"Notices have been served to 660 mobile towers as they were identified as illegal. The owners have been given a 15-day notice, after which the sealing process would start," NDMC Commissioner PK Gupta had told the House on Monday. It has also ordered a fresh survey that is likely to see an increase in the numbers.
The South corporation, which has a total 1,549 illegal mobile phone towers, too has gone soft on the drive with no new sealing taking place. A senior official said that 23 towers located on schools and hospitals will be removed first but a date has not been fixed yet. The East corporation has sealed 11 towers in the last one month.
Cell towers help in receiving and sending signals from mobile phones to service providers' base switch and vice-versa.