City patient turns critical, stabilises
63 infected cases of swine flu have been reported in the country, the latest in the city being that of a 66-year-old woman admitted at the isolation ward of the Deen Dayal Upadhyay (DDU) hospital who had developed severe respiratory complications on Sunday night and had to be put on ventilator.delhi Updated: Jun 23, 2009 02:33 IST
A 66-year-old woman admitted at the isolation ward of the Deen Dayal Upadhyay (DDU) hospital developed severe respiratory complications on Sunday night and had to be put on ventilator.
On Monday, the ventilator was removed after her condition became stable.
One of the five human-to-human transmissions in the Capital, having contracted the virus from her son, she tested positive for swine flu on June 17, and since then is being treated at DDU hospital.
According to the doctors treating her at the hospital, the woman had a history of severe bronchitis and has had been on steroids for many years.
“She is an asthmatic, and had developed breathing problems last night. We put her on ventilator and she was stable within a few hours,” said a senior doctor at the hospital, who did not wish to be named, as he is not authorised to speak to the media.
State health ministry officials confirmed her deteriorating condition had nothing to do with the flu.
“She developed breathing problem because of the history of severe bronchitis. She is stable now,” said J.P. Singh, principal secretary (Health), Delhi government.
Monday also saw two more confirmed cases of swine flu in the country. Two cases were confirmed late Sunday night, taking the total number of affected cases to 63. Thirty-seven out of them have already recovered and been discharged.
Of the two national cases on Monday, one was from Mumbai and the other from Pune.
The Mumbai case is that of a 23-year-old man, who travelled from Melbourne and landed at Mumbai.
The one detected in Pune is that of a 24-year-old man from the US who, before reaching Pune, had travelled to Lucknow as well as Delhi.
Delhi had no confirmed case on Monday but the two cases confirmed late Sunday night were from the city.
One was that of a 25-year-old man from the US and the second of a 29-year-old man from Canada. With these two, the total number of confirmed cases in the Capital has shot up to 24.
Out of these 24 cases, 12 are still admitted at various hospitals and the rest have been discharged.