CJ comes to the aid of 95-yr-old | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 15, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

CJ comes to the aid of 95-yr-old

There is some good news for 95-year-old Amar Kaur who has been fighting for justice for her missing son for the last 17 years. Harish V Nair reports.

delhi Updated: Sep 09, 2011 23:07 IST
Harish V Nair
Harish V Nair
Hindustan Times

There is some good news for 95-year-old Amar Kaur who has been fighting for justice for her missing son for the last 17 years.

A Delhi court on Friday decided to hold day-to-day trial in the kidnap and murder case in which present Punjab vigilance department director Sumed Singh Saini and three other police officers are accused.

Hindustan Times had reported about Kaur's plight in an article published on July 15.

Through a telegram sent from the ICU of Moolchand Hospital, she had pleaded with Delhi High Court Chief Justice Dipak Misra to direct the trial court to fast track the case so that she can "die peacefully".

Kaur's son Vinod Kumar, an automobile businessman, his brother-in-law Ashok Kumar, along with their driver Mukhtiyar Singh, had been taken into custody on February 23, 1994, at the Kotwali police station in Ludhiana. They have never been seen since then.

With half of her body paralysed, besides battling high blood pressure, heart problem and sugar down to serious levels, Kaur had been attending court proceedings on a stretcher and wheelchair whenever she has been summoned for the past seven years.

Announcing fast tracking of the case through a daily trial from October 12, additional sessions judge Santosh Snehi Mann said there was a direction in this regard from the chief justice.

Following a CBI chargesheet, a lower court had framed charges against the four accused in 2006 for kidnapping with intention to murder, wrongful confinement and criminal conspiracy.

The trial is on at Karkardooma Courts. The accused have challenged the charges in the high court

The CBI claimed Saini nursed a grudge against Vinod Kumar and booked him under a case of economic offences. A case against Saini and others was registered on orders of the Punjab and Haryana High Court.

Kaur's telegram stated: "The case is pending since 17 years. Proceedings are still delayed even though the Delhi high court had earlier ordered and the trial court promised day-to-day hearing. I'm 94 years old and all hopes of getting justice in my lifetime is fading away. Now I'm on my death bed. I implore you to order day-to-day hearing so that my soul may rest in peace."

The case was transferred to Delhi from Punjab by the Supreme Court in 2004 after Kaur cited Saini's "ability to influence witnesses" given his powerful position.

First Published: Sep 09, 2011 23:04 IST