CWG probe makes no headway in 2 years
Even two years and 16 FIRs later, the Commonwealth Games scam probe seems to be going nowhere. For, the CBI has, till date, managed to complete investigation and file charge-sheet in only one of the 16 cases. Rajesh Ahuja reports.delhi Updated: Aug 16, 2012 00:42 IST
Even two years and 16 FIRs later, the Commonwealth Games scam probe seems to be going nowhere.
For, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has, till date, managed to complete investigation and file charge-sheet in only one of the 16 cases.
"So far, we have closed one case against ex-Prasar Bharti CEO BS Lalli. For the rest, investigation is still on," said a CBI spokesperson.
The case against Lalli, however, was closed due to lack of evidence. The rest of the cases are in various stages of investigation.
Sources told Hindustan Times that at least three more CBI probes - bailout package for the Games village, award of the broadcast contract and construction of the Barapullah flyover - are nearing completion.
But an official said on condition of anonymity: "This is just the beginning. Many other probes are heading nowhere."
In the case related to the Queen's Baton Relay held in October 2009, the CBI registered two FIRs against CWG officials in 2010 for irregularities in the hiring of two London-based firms.
In both cases, the CBI is yet to file chargesheets.
New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) chairman in 2010, Parimal Rai, had been booked for alleged irregularities in awarding civil and electrical contracts for building the NDMC convention centre to a private firm.
Sources said after registering the FIR, the CBI didn't conduct any searches -- a standard procedure.
The agency claimed the case was not related to the CWG, although the contract was awarded in the run-up to the Games.
Rai is in Goa as principal secretary.
"If any officer has been transferred from his position, the CBI conducts searches at his subsequent place of work... But in this case nothing happened," said a CBI source.