Cylinder blast burns two kids to death, mother critical
Two children were charred to death, while their 32-year-old mother suffered serious burn injuries on Wednesday night, after a fire broke out at their west Delhi residence.delhi Updated: Nov 19, 2010 00:27 IST
Two children were charred to death, while their 32-year-old mother suffered serious burn injuries on Wednesday night, after a fire broke out at their west Delhi residence.
The police have attributed the blaze to a gas leak in domestic LPG gas cylinder.
The children have been identified as Akash (4) and his sister Khushi (5). Their mother Veena was admitted to the Safdarjung Hospital with 85% burn injuries, said a senior Delhi Police officer.
The victims' neighbours intimated the police about the incident on Thursday morning, when they spotted smoke coming from the house at A-block in west Delhi's Ranhola area.
"The fire was brought under control within 20 minutes," said a senior Delhi Fire Services official. A police team arrived at the spot and rushed the victims to the Safdarjung Hospital.
While Akash and Khushi were declared brought dead on arrival at the hospital, Veena is still critical and battling for her life. Doctors said the children must have succumbed to their injuries within minutes of being caught in the inferno, the officer said.
Police said Veena's husband Mukesh Kumar, who works for a plastic container manufacturing company, was not present in the city at the time of the incident.
"We have contacted Mukesh Kumar and informed him about the unfortunate incident. He is on his way to the capital," the officer said.
First Published: Nov 19, 2010 00:25 IST