Delhi: 3 die trying to keep warm on coldest day
Three men died of carbon monoxide poisoning in south Delhi's Hauz Khas area on Sunday morning after being suffocated by the fumes of an angeethi (traditional brazier) lit the previous night, the police said.delhi Updated: Dec 22, 2014 03:12 IST
Three men died of carbon monoxide poisoning in south Delhi's Hauz Khas area on Sunday morning after being suffocated by the fumes of an angeethi (traditional brazier) lit the previous night, the police said. A fourth man has been admitted to hospital in a critical condition.
The incident was reported around 10.30am on Sunday, the coldest day in Delhi this season, with the maximum temperature plunging to 15 degree Celsius, seven degrees below normal. The minimum temperature remained at 6.4 degree Celsius, two below normal, with moderate fog and low-hanging clouds keeping the day chilly.Monday is expected to see dense fog in the morning with the sky clearing up by afternoon. The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to be between 16 and 6 degree Celsius respectively.
All four victims worked as domestic help at a house in Hauz Khas enclave, police officials said, adding that initial evidence pointed to asphyxiation due to carbon monoxide poisoning. The deceased were identified as Rajesh (25), Santosh (33), and Munna (56). Uday (45) is still critical.
The four went to sleep around 5.30am on Sunday after helping clean up following a birthday party in the house.
Sources claimed the men were inebriated and took the brazier in their room.
Since there was no ventilation inside the room, they suffocated to death, sources added.
"We have recovered a brazier from the spot. Their room did not have a window and no signs of fight or attack were found," said Prem Nath, DCP (south). The cause of death would be clear only after an autopsy report, senior police officials added.
The matter came to light on Sunday morning when they didn't wake up.
"The owner of the house called an ambulance and rushed to get a doctor. Three were declared dead on arrival while a fourth is battling for his life," said a senior police official. A case has been registered at the Hauz Khas police station.