Delhi civic agencies deploy teams to check bird flu
The Delhi government’s teams deployed at the borders check 90 % of the poultry products, the rest 10% would be verified by the civic agencies.delhi Updated: Oct 20, 2016 23:33 IST
The municipal corporations have has formed teams in each zone to check the poultry meat shops following cases of Avian Influenza (bird flu) in the city.
These teams will check for any symptoms of lesions of flu in live and slaughtered birds and submit the report to animal husbandry department of the Delhi government.
The move came following a meeting of municipal officials with the animal husbandry department’s director on Wednesday.
In south Delhi, there are a total of 300 meat shops. “To check the spread of bird flu at these places we have formed teams in each of the four zones. They will do the daily monitoring and submit the report,” said south delhi municipal corporation (SDMC) commissioner Puneet Goel.
According to an SDMC official, while the Delhi government’s teams deployed at the borders check 90 % of the poultry products, the rest 10% would be verified by the civic agencies.
“If the mortality of birds is found to be above normal at any shop then we will immediately report to the animal husbandry department. It will immediately send the team to collect the meat sample for test. In case it is found to be infected, action would be taken against the shop owner,” said a senior official from the North Corporation. It has a total of 1,200 meat shops in areas under its jurisdiction.
In east Delhi, there are 750 meat shops and for their inspection, civic agency has formed three teams — two at zonal levels (Shahdara north and Shahdara south) and one at the headquarters.
“Each team will be lead by the deputy director, veterinary department. Besides, there will be one veterinary inspector and three para-veterinary staff,” said a senior official from East Delhi Municipal Corporation.
First Published: Oct 20, 2016 23:33 IST