Delhi gang-rape: police concludes final arguments
Delhi Police today concluded its final arguments in the December 16 gang-rape and murder trial against the four adult accused in the case, saying it had all the evidence to prove them guilty.delhi Updated: Aug 26, 2013 21:14 IST
Delhi Police on Monday concluded its final arguments in the December 16 gang-rape and murder trial against the four adult accused in the case, saying it had all the evidence to prove them guilty.
The counsel for the accused will start its final arguments from Tuesday.
Special public prosecutor Dayan Krishnan, appearing for Delhi Police before additional sessions judge Yogesh Khanna, said that the evidence produced on behalf of the accused were "fabricated and introduced during the trial".
"I have placed... a complete and comprehensive case for the prosecution. I have proved the bus route and also the presence of the accused (one of them is a juvenile) in the vehicle, which is supported by electronic and medical evidence.
"It is also proved that the accused committed rape upon the victim, which can established from the DNA report and also the presence of blood stains on their clothes, which matched with the victims' (the girl and her male friend).
"The rods (which) were used to assualt the victims and the dumping spot was also proved by witnesses," Krishnan said, adding there was enough evidence to hold the accused guilty of the crime.
According to the prosecution, Ram Singh, Vinay Sharma, Akshay Thakur, Pawan Gupta, Mukesh and the juvenile, who was tried by the Juvenile Justice Board in New Delhi, had allegedly gangraped the 23-year-old girl on a moving bus after luring her and her 28-year-old male friend, who was also assaulted, on board.
The victim's friend, a software engineer, fractured his limbs in the incident. The girl succumbed to her injuries on December 29 last year while undergoing treatment at a Singapore hospital.
During the trial, Ram Singh was found dead in Tihar Jail on March 11 and court proceedings against him stand abated.
The sixth accused, a juvenile, has been held guilty by the JJB of robbing the carpenter who had boarded the bus prior to the rape with the verdict on him in the gangrape case likely to be pronounced on August 31.
Krishnan, who began final arguments on August 22, on Monday said that the evidence produced on behalf of each of the accused "was vague to say the least".
He argued that Mukesh himself had admitted that he was driving the bus but had done nothing and did not know what others did with the victims at the back of the vehicle.
"He (Mukesh) very conveniently says he does not know what was happening. He is trying to get out of his liability.
"The medical evidence shows that he was a paticipant..." the prosecution said, adding that he and the other accused were on the road in pursuance of a plan and had targeted the victims in their "quest for sexual satisfaction and loot".
The crime committed by them was "grotesque to say the least".
Krishnan further argued that the "alibi evidence" in the case must be absolutely certain.
"The inherent contradiction in the statements of the defence witnesses itself proves that it is an introduction of fabricated documents during trial," Krishnan said.
With respect to Vinay and Pawan, he argued that there was no function held at the DDA district park in south Delhi on the night of the incident, as had been proved by witnesses including a DDA official.
So, there is no chance of the accused having been there and their fingerprints have also been lifted from the bus, he said.
He informed the court that the bite marks on the victim's body matched Akshay's dental model.
Krishnan spoke about the "depraved sexual perversity" with which the accused had treated the victim.
According to the prosecution, the major damage to the victim was caused when iron rods were aggressively thrust into her body.