Delhi gangrape: Constable dies, online debate begins | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 20, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi gangrape: Constable dies, online debate begins

A 47-year-old Delhi Police Constable, who was assaulted during violent protests at India Gate on Sunday, died of cardiac arrest on Tuesday after battling for life in a city hospital. POLL: Do cops get credit and honour for their work?

delhi Updated: Dec 13, 2013 17:34 IST

The death of Constable Subhash Chand Tomar, who was on duty at India Gate where people were protesting against the gangrapge of a 23-year-old woman, sparked an online debate on the public perception of policemen.

Tomar, 45, died of cardiac arrest. He had suffered no injuries--internal or external, said a senior official Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital.

"He died of cardio-pulmonary arrest at 6:40am on Tuesday. He was brought to the hospital in a state of cardiac arrest and was given CPR. Our bed-side investigations found no gross internal injuries or bleeding and externally also only few bruises on the chest," said Dr TS Sidhu, medical superintendent, Ram Manohar Lohia hospital.

He was on ventilator since his admission at Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital on Sunday evening.

Sidhu said: "His condition deteriorated at night. We will get to know the exact reasons of death after post mortem."

"With deep regret, we have to inform you Constable Subhash Chand Tomar succumbed to his injuries at 6:40am today," Delhi Police commissioner Neeraj Kumar said.

Tomar, a graduate in arts, hailed from Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.

He was posted in Karawal Nagar area and was called for maintaining law and order at India Gate area during the protests on Sunday over the gangrape of a 23-year-old girl on December 16 in Delhi.

According to police officers, after he fell on the street, he was kicked and beaten. His colleagues spotted him unconscious and bleeding and rushed him to hospital.

Since then, Tomar remained on ventilator and never regained consciousness.

Tomar, who died after being injured during protests against the gang-rape of a woman, was cremated with full state honours in New Delhi on Tuesday.

Minister of state for home RPN Singh, chief minister Sheila Dikshit, home secretary RK Singh, Delhi Police commissioner Neeraj Kumar and many police officers were among the 1,000 people who attended the cremation at Nigambodh Ghat in central Delhi.

The last rites were performed by Tomar's sons Deepak and Sonu.

Additional commissioner of police VV Chaudhary said that Tomar was an "exceptionally sincere and hard working" policeman who had earned 77 commendations since joining Delhi Police in 1987.

The anguished family blamed the violent protesters for Tomar's death.

"The public is responsible for my father's death. He was brutally beaten up by people. Can they return my father back?" asked a wailing Deepak, his 22-year-old son.

"No politician came to visit my father in hospital."

Police officers said Tomar also had a 24-year-old daughter and another son.

Tomar's brother Yudhveer Singh too blamed the mob.

"They are responsible for this. What was his fault? He was only doing his job and now he is no more," he said.

Yudhveer Singh urged those protesting against the rape of the 23-year-old, who too is in critical condition, to stay calm.

Devinder Singh, another brother of the dead man, added: "He was the only earning person in his family. What will happen to them now?"

"He was truly a very nice man and a good policeman," said Lekh Raj, the head of Karawal Nagar police station in northeast district where Tomar was posted only two months ago.

Eight people were Sunday night arrested for the attack on Tomar but got bail the next day, joint commissioner of police Taj Hassan said. They will now be booked for murder.

"We have lost a brave soldier. We will take action... We will certainly help his family," a senior police official said.