Delhi HC blast: Kin of deceased to get Rs 6 lakh more
The Delhi high court on Wednesday increased compensation to the kin of the 15 persons killed in the September 7 blast outside the court from Rs 4 lakh to Rs 10 lakh. Harish V Nair reports.delhi Updated: Sep 22, 2011 00:16 IST
The Delhi high court on Wednesday increased compensation to the kin of the 15 persons killed in the September 7 blast outside the court from Rs 4 lakh to Rs 10 lakh.
“The situation calls for greater compensation. The case is different as it has happened at the doorstep of the temple of justice,” observed the court.
Those permanently incapacitated by the blast will also be given Rs 10 lakh.
A bench of chief justice Dipak Misra and justice Sanjiv Khanna said the Delhi government and the Centre would share the compensation amount equally and the increased amount will be disbursed within three weeks.
The bench also directed a payment of Rs 3 lakh each to people who suffered grievous injuries and Rs 20,000 each to those who received minor injuries. In addition, the court also asked the Centre to consider providing education to the victims’ children and directed the Delhi government to provide jobs to eligible children of victims.
The court was hearing a PIL filed by lawyer Gaurav Bansal seeking higher compensation. “It was a catastrophe that fell on persons on the way to reach court to get justice,” the bench said.
Delhi government’s standing counsel Najmi Waziri informed the bench that the state government had released Rs 4 lakh each to the relatives of those who died in the blast, Rs 2 lakh to those permanently disabled victims, and Rs 1 lakh to the seriously injured ones.
Appearing for the Centre, additional solicitor general AS Chandihoke informed the bench that an ex-gratia amount of Rs 2 lakh each from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund had already been released to family members of deceased persons, while an amount of Rs 1 lakh each had been given to victims, who had been permanently incapacitated.
The court also directed the state government to provide the blast victims the “best possible treatment” under the free treatment quota. “If any artificial limb is required for any victim, the same will be provided by the government,” the court said.