Delhi: Man dies inside sewer in Vasant Kunj
A sanitation worker was killed and another critically injured after they fell into a sewer and inhaled methane gas in south Delhi’s Vasant Kunj on Friday, police said.delhi Updated: Nov 12, 2016 01:15 IST
A sanitation worker was killed and another critically injured after they fell into a sewer and inhaled methane gas in south Delhi’s Vasant Kunj on Friday, police said.
Police identified the deceased as one Chandan and the injured as Israil. Both the workers are in their mid-twenties.
The incident occurred when the duo began cleaning a choked drain in front of the mall, police said. When Chandan went inside the sewer, he fainted. Israil panicked on seeing Chandan’s condition and jumped inside the sewer to rescue him. However, Israil also fainted due to the effect of the gas, said a police officer.
A beat constable saw Israil jumping inside the sewer and arranged for a rope. The constable then sought help from passerby to pull Israil and Chandan out of the drain.
After Israil and Chandan were pulled out, they were rushed to a nearby hospital where Chandan was declared brought dead.
Israil is currently undergoing treatment and his condition is stated to be critical. Chandan was a native of Bengal and lived in Bengali Basti in Jai Hind Camp with his family.
A case under relevant sections has been registered in Vasant Kunj (North) police station.
First Published: Nov 12, 2016 01:14 IST