Delhi schools may move court against scrapping of management quota
Schools in the city may move the court against Delhi government’s direction to scrap the 20% management quota and other discriminatory quotas in nursery admission.delhi Updated: Jan 08, 2016 09:07 IST
Schools in the city may move the court against Delhi government’s direction to scrap the 20% management quota and other discriminatory quotas in nursery admission.
While schools are yet to decide on how to implement the order, it is expected to become clear by Friday whether they will abide by the order or challenge it.
According to sources there are high chances that the school association will move the court against the order.
“It is a very important matter, so the school management will hold a meeting. By Friday, things will be clear and schools will decide on the future course of action,” said Ashok Pandey, principal Ahlcon International School and chairperson of National Progressive Schools’ Conference (NPSC).
A similar case is already pending in the division bench of the Delhi High Court.
“We are still deciding and most probably we will move the court. Earlier too, the Delhi High Court ruled in our favour when we challenged the lieutenantgovernor’s guidelines which had also quashed the management quota,” said the principal of a renowned school, who did not want to be named.
Experts also suggest that the government should have not taken the course and instead amended Rule 145 of the Delhi School Education Rules.
“The government could have easily amended the rule and then forwarded it to the L-G for his approval. In all likeliness, the L-G would have accepted it as his guidelines had also quashed the management quota. Had this route been taken then there was no provision for the schools to challenge it in court,” said Khagesh Jha, advocate and member of Social Jurist, an NGO that works in the field of education.
The Delhi government on Wednesday ordered private unaided schools in the city to remove all discriminatory criteria for nursery admission.
Except the 25% quota for the economically weaker section/ disadvantaged groups category, there can be no other quota for admission. The remaining 75% seats will have to remain open for the general category.