Delhi: Tension after two groups clash, pelt stones in Trilokpuri

A group of youths clashed in east Delhi’s Trilokpuri on Saturday, following which police had to rush in reinforcements to ensure that violence did not escalate.

delhi Updated: Oct 10, 2016 01:45 IST
Trilokpuri,Communal violence,Delhi
Delhi police personnel after two group clashed in Trilokpuri on Saturday night.(Virendra Singh Gosain/HT Photo)

A group of youths clashed in east Delhi’s Trilokpuri on Saturday, following which police had to rush in reinforcements to ensure that violence did not escalate. Shopkeepers in the area downed shutters fearing the violence would escalate but the situation was brought under control within half an hour.

Police said six CCTV cameras and 2 lamp posts were damaged in the stone pelting. A case of rioting has been registered.

The clash was reported from outside the Madina Masjid Chowk, located between blocks 29 and 32, in Trilokpuri.

Police said that the incident took place after a 23-year-old man was beaten by a group of youths at around 8.30pm. Locals said the clash escalated and two groups of Hindus and Muslim youths pelted stones at each other. The situation at present was under control and the police claimed that on Saturday night they had reached the spot within 20 minutes of the incident being reported. Trilokpuri in east Delhi has had a history of riots and communal tension.

In October 2014, groups of Hindu and Muslim youths had clashed in the area after a Mata ki Chowki Jagran was organised in front of a mosque on Diwali night. The clash continued for three days, during which about three dozen people, including policemen, were injured. In April 2015 again, two groups had clashed after entering into an argument over parking issues.

“It was very frightening. Two groups of men were throwing stones at each other. CCTV cameras and lamp posts were damaged. I was so scared that I pulled my shop shutter down and ran towards home,” said Sameer, who runs a chemist shop near Masjid chowk.

One of those injured in the clash, K Jaikumar (23), a resident of block 29, alleged that the clash began after he was attacked by a group of youths. Jaikumar told HT that he was beaten by some youths, who had threatened his nephew on Saturday afternoon. “My nephew was playing cricket when the ball hit some youths who were playing cards in the ground. They then refused to return the ball and so my nephew called me. I went to the playground and had an argument with them over the issue. The matter was settled then, but in the evening, the same group attacked me. I was hit on my head and face. Someone kicked me repeatedly. I was so badly hurt that I lost consciousness immediately,” said Jaikumar.

DCP (east) Rishipal confirmed that there was a clash in which one man named Jaikumar was injured but clarified that the group had both Hindus and Muslims. “The clash between locals was triggered after Jaikumar was beaten up by a group that consisted of both Hindus and Muslims. The victim was injured in the clash and not the stone pelting. No one was hurt during the stone pelting. This was not a communal clash. The situation was brought under control soon,” he alleged.

On Sunday when HT visited Trilokpuri and spotted around 10-15 police officers in the area posted to ensure law and order in the area.

First Published: Oct 10, 2016 01:45 IST