Delhi: Fire from electric meter spreads to e-ricks, kills 3 in Shahdara
Three people were killed after fire broke out in a building in Mohan Park area of Delhi’s Shahdara on Wednesday.delhi Updated: Nov 02, 2016 15:43 IST
At least three people were killed early on Wednesday when an electrical meter in a building in the capital’s Shahdara area caught fire and spread to about a dozen e-rickshaws being charged in the basement.
Residents near the building at Mohan Park area said the number of casualties in the blaze that broke out at 4 am could be more than five.
Ten others were also injured in the incident, sources said.
Two people jumped from the first floor of the building. They suffered fractures, but came out safe.
The deceased were yet to be identified. The injured were undergoing treatment at GTB Hospital.
Prima facie investigation suggests the fire broke out due to short circuit.
There were at least 12 e-rickshaws parked, all of which have been gutted, sources said. All of them belonged to the house owner, they added.
Harveen Singh, a neighbour who saved lives by launching a rescue operation before the fire brigade arrived, said, “When I entered the house, I saw fire in all the e-rickshaws parked in the building.”
A Santro car parked in the building was also gutted.
Fire department officials said the blaze has been doused.
Neighbours say they used staircase made of bamboo sticks to save lives. Fire tenders reached around 5: 30 am, an hour after neighbours called for their service, sources said.
First Published: Nov 02, 2016 08:10 IST