Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 20, 2018-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ditched in love, girl kills self, family donates her organs

More than 10 days after his 20-year-old daughter committed suicide, Raghuvir Das (53) has donated her organs at two hospitals.

delhi Updated: Nov 24, 2010 00:01 IST
Jatin Anand
Jatin Anand
Hindustan Times

More than 10 days after his 20-year-old daughter committed suicide, Raghuvir Das (53) has donated her organs at two hospitals.

He hopes that Kanchan, who was found hanging from the ceiling fan on the day of her lover's engagement, will find fulfilment through her earthly remains when the man responsible for her death is punished.

"I was at our family doctor's clinic in Faridabad when my aunt called me and said Kanchan had locked herself in a room and wasn't opening the door. When I reached two hours later, she had been dead for half-an-hour," Poonam, Kanchan's elder sister, said.

A resident of the Railway Colony area in southeast Delhi's Tughlakabad, Kanchan was an aspiring beautician and had fallen in love with a local boy.

"Four months ago, she had shown me the picture of the boy, who stayed in our locality, and told me she wanted to get married to him. Everything was fine till a few weeks ago. It seemed both of them had had a fight about something on November 10," Poonam said.

The bone of contention was the boy's engagement - which was to be held the following day. "They had a heated argument on the phone on the night of November 11. My sister was incensed at the fact that he had kept his engagement a secret for so many months. The boy's wedding was to be held on November 17 and he hadn't told her about it," she added.

Helpless and frustrated, Kanchan locked herself inside her home, switched-off all the lights and hung herself from the ceiling fan with her chunni.

"We were informed about the incident by the girl's family at 8 pm on November 12. She had left behind a picture of her lover, some money he had given

her, and a suicide note that said that he was culpable for the drastic step," a senior Delhi police officer investigating the incident said.

"It has been 12 days since it happened. The boy is happily married and settled in Bangalore, but here the police are still trying to match my daughter's handwriting with the suicide note. In my own little way, I've tried to ensure that she feels satisfied, when they catch him, by donating her eyes, heart and liver at the AIIMS and Safdurjung hospitals," Das, who is a train driver, said.

First Published: Nov 23, 2010 23:59 IST