DMRC expects centre nod for phase 3 extension
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is hoping to get a go ahead for its proposed extension of metro connectivity under phase 3 from central government soon. Subhendu Ray reports.delhi Updated: Jan 16, 2011 01:53 IST
Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) is hoping to get a go ahead for its proposed extension of metro connectivity under phase 3 from central government soon.
Once the approval from central government is achieved the construction work will start immediately, if the DMRC officials are to be believed.A senior officer of the department, who did not wish to be named, said: "Within this month DMRC will make a presentation on the detailed project report (DPR) that it is preparing on the six proposed lines under phase 3 to the planning commission. We are expecting that a final nod from the centre would be achieved on this soon after the presentation."
A Delhi cabinet level meeting that was held on October 11, 2010 had given an in-principle clearance to the three proposed corridors in phase 3 of metro network extension. Besides, the cabinet has also suggested some additions and alterations to the other three proposed routes.
The project which was worth R21,468 crore as per the previous DPR may go up to R25,000 crore now, according to sources.
DMRC said its DPR had proposed construction of six routes covering 69.57 km under phase 3 but Delhi cabinet had given nod to three routes and asked DMRC to add more areas to the other three proposed routes to extend the route length to 108.35 km, sources said.
“We are almost at the verge of completion of the final DPR and also we have done ground works so that we can start civil construction works immediately after the project gets centre’s clearance,” the officer added.
It was learnt that DMRC would build 23 interchange stations under phase 3 in a bid to ensure seamless interchange connectivity.
When DMRC is claiming to have reached almost in the final stage of starting the construction works, surprisingly, it remained clueless about the funding structure for the same.
Mangu Singh, director (works) said: “We are planning to start construction works by July this year. But the funding structure for the project is yet to be finalised.”
On the funding pattern, Delhi Metro chief E Sreedharan earlier had indicated that state and central governments may share 40% of the total project cost equally and the remaining 60% may be taken as a loan possibly from Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).
First Published: Jan 15, 2011 23:26 IST