DRDO terror suspect, held by NIA, to be released today
A budding scientist who was working with the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) when he was arrested on suspicion of being a terror suspect will be released on bail on Tuesday, according to his lawyer.delhi Updated: Mar 05, 2013 00:33 IST
A budding scientist who was working with the Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) when he was arrested on suspicion of being a terror suspect will be released on bail on Tuesday, according to his lawyer.
The National Investigation Agency (NIA) has not framed charges against Aizaz Ahmed Mirza, who was among the 15 suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists arrested in Karnataka in August-September last year for conspiring to carry out a series of attacks across India.
The NIA did not object to Aizaz, an electronics engineer, getting bail from the Bangalore special NIA court on February 26, but maintained investigations were underway.
Following his arrest, Aizaz, 26, lost his contractual job as a junior research fellow at the Centre for Airborne Systems, a DRDO laboratory, in the city.
He is the third suspect in the case to get bail.
In February, the special court had granted bail to journalist Mathiur Rahman Siddiqui and technician Yusuf Nalbad.
Incidentally, Aizaz’s elder brother, Shoaib, an MCA student, is an accused in the case.
On February 20, the NIA had filed a chargesheet in the court against Shoaib and 11 other accused in the case.
“Aizaz will be released from Bangalore Parappana Agrahara central prison by Tuesday evening after completion of legal formalities,” his lawyer Mohammed Sultan Beary said on Monday.
Aizaz and Shoaib’s father, Abdul Raoof Mirza, hoped his sons would get justice.
“I hope the DRDO employs Aizaz again. He has always dreamt of being a scientist.”
After Aizaz was arrested, the DRDO, had clarified, “He was not involved in any sensitive work and as such no sensitive or classified information has been compromised.”
'Compensate if not guilty’
Bangalore: Aizaz’s father Abdul Raoof Mirza, a mechanic with the Railways in Hubli, said if found innocent, his sons and other suspects should get monetary compensation
“They should be paid, much like how Australia gave compensation to Dr Mohammad Haneef who was wrongly accused in the Glasgow bombing attempt of 2007.”
First Published: Mar 05, 2013 00:30 IST