Fire at Krishna’s house sets alarm bells ringing
Be careful while buying an air conditioner — don't go for cheap stuff. Also, show caution while getting ACs installed at your residence, Moushumi Das Gupta reports.delhi Updated: Sep 06, 2012 02:25 IST
Be careful while buying an air conditioner — don't go for cheap stuff. Also, show caution while getting ACs installed at your residence.
These are some of the advice that the Central Public Works Department (CPWD) is soon set to give members of Parliament and central ministers in the Capital.
The trigger: A minor fire at External Affairs minister SM Krishna's residence at 1 Thyagaraja Marg last Sunday, caused by a short circuit in an air-conditioner installed in the guest room."There was a minor fire caused by short-circuit in one of the two split AC's installed in the guest house of the minister's residence. Soon, the smoke spread to the adjoining room. It was brought under control immediately. No damage was reported," said a senior urban development ministry official.
The minister was not at his home at the time of the incident. Soon after the incident, however, the CPWD sprang into action.
It is now planning to send a detailed circular to all MPs and central ministers on do's and don'ts for buying and installing AC's at their residence.
This includes telling them to buy branded ACs, get the wiring and load balancing of air conditioners done by CPWD, get regular maintenance checks done, etc.
As per rules, CPWD is the only authorised government agency to install air-conditioners at MPs/ministers residences. But many a time, these rules are given a go by.
"The circular is necessitated as many a time MPs buy air conditioners on their own and get it installed at their residence without bothering to check the load carrying capacity of the system in their home. At times wiring is also not done properly which can lead to fire. So there is a need to be careful," said the official.
In recent months, there have been a number of incidents of minor fire reported from government buildings in Lutyen's Bungalow Zone.
In June, a minor fire, caused by short-circuit in an air conditioner, broke out at home ministry office in North Block.