Fire in Connaught Place building, no casualties
A fire was reported in Harsha Bhawan in Connaught Place in New Delhi and 10 fire tenders were rushed to the spot on Tuesday morning.delhi Updated: May 13, 2015 16:19 IST
A major fire broke out at the Connaught Place branch of Oriental Bank of Commerce in the heart of New Delhi on Tuesday injuring at least 10 people.
According to the fire department, the fire broke out inside the bank situated on the third and fourth floor of Harsha Bhawan located at E Block of Connaught Place, the commercial hub of the city.
The department received a call at 11:40am after which 15 fire tenders were pressed into service, a fire department official said.
Ten people were admitted to the Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital and were treated for burn injuries and asphyxiation.
"Ten injured people have been brought to the hospital with superficial burn injuries and swelling. Most of them had inhaled a lot of smoke and were suffocated. All of them are stable and have been managed," said Dr Sunil Saxena, head of emergency and accident department at the RML hospital.
In another incident, a minor fire was reported at the medicine OPD at All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) at 9:35am.
"Six fire tenders were sent to the spot. A minor fire had broken out due to a short circuit in the AC (air conditioner) wire. It was quickly brought under control and no casualty was reported in the incident," said a fire department officia