Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 21, 2018-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

For these 3, the price of survival was a limb each

Vipin Kumar Gautam, Madan Mohan Sharma and Rattan Lal Shroff survived the September 7 Delhi High Court blasts but lost a limb each.

delhi Updated: Sep 14, 2011 00:34 IST
Rhythma Kaul
Rhythma Kaul
Hindustan Times

Vipin Kumar Gautam, Madan Mohan Sharma and Rattan Lal Shroff survived the September 7 Delhi High Court blasts but lost a limb each.

Five more of the 14 victims in the Ram Manohar Lohia (RML) Hospital might need amputation as well. “We are evaluating them on a day-to-day basis,” said Dr Saxena.

Gautam, 52, was transferred from RML Hospital to the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) trauma centre in a critical condition. The infection was fast spreading through his body, but he was not agreeing to amputation of the left leg below the knee. After extensive counselling, the family agreed and the surgery was performed on Friday.

Four days later, the owner of a tourism agency, was seen following the instructions of the physiotherapist while performing muscle-strengthening exercises on parallel bars. Doctors say, it will not be long before he is fit to walk on his own, using an artificial limb.

“He is a strong man and has got immense will power that will help him see through this disaster. Had it been someone else, it would not be possible for him to cope with the loss,” said Rahul Gupta, a friend, who was with Gautam at the time of the incident but escaped miraculously.

It would take about three weeks for his wound to heal completely, after which a prosthetic leg would be fitted.
Gautam’s family and friends, however, feel his leg could have been saved. “He was transferred to the AIIMS trauma centre 30 hours after the incident. If he had been operated upon in time, may be the outcome would have been different,” said Gupta.

Sharma, 55, a property dealer, was to attend the last hearing of an accident case on the ill-fated Wednesday. His work required him to run around. Lying on bed No 2 in the intensive care unit of RML Hospital with his right leg amputated below the knee, he was not sure if life would be the same. “He was operated upon before we reached the hospital. He is the only earning member, I wonder what we are going to do,” said Rekha, his wife. Sharma himself is facing the situation bravely. “He smiles and tells us not to treat him like a cripple. It’s he who is providing us the emotional support,” she added.

Model town resident Shroff, 58, lost both his legs. The textile agency owner was on ventilator for five days after the incident. On Monday, he showed improvement and was taken off the ventilator. On Tuesday, the Shroff family sat in the waiting room of RML Hospital in silence, waiting to be updated on his condition by the doctor.

First Published: Sep 14, 2011 00:32 IST