Govt makes fresh efforts to start talks
After the setback to ceasefire efforts and peace talks following Maoist spokesperson Azad's killing on July 2, efforts are afoot again to bring the rebels to the dialogue table. Prasad Nichenametla reports.delhi Updated: Jul 31, 2010 00:48 IST
After the setback to ceasefire efforts and peace talks following Maoist spokesperson Azad's killing on July 2, efforts are afoot again to bring the rebels to the dialogue table.
Social activist Swami Agnivesh, who has been mediating peace process between Home Minister P Chidambaram and top Maoist leader Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad, told HT that he sent a fresh peace offer to Maoists calling for ceasefire and negotiation "a few days back".
The letter was sent after Agnivesh met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last week seeking a judicial inquiry into the 'encounter killing'. Calling Singh's reaction positive, Agnivesh in the letter addressed to Abhay who took after Azad, assured Maoist leadership that civil society would pursue the case.
The home minister had earlier rejected the demand.
"The killing came as a shock... But there was no major retaliation from the Maoists to avenge the killing, which indicates a positive approach. I am expecting a positive response (from Maoists), which hopefully would be communicated in a few days," Agnivesh told HT.
Andhra Pradesh police claimed to have shot down Azad, spokesperson, and an accomplice in an encounter in the forests of Adilabad.
First Published: Jul 31, 2010 00:46 IST