Govt welcomes SC monitoring 2G probe
The government on Thursday welcomed the Supreme Court's decision to monitor the 2G spectrum allocation scam and turned down the Opposition demand for a JPC probe into the issue.delhi Updated: Dec 16, 2010 18:40 IST
The government on Thursday welcomed the Supreme Court's decision to monitor the 2G spectrum allocation scam and turned down the Opposition demand for a JPC probe into the issue.
"We welcome the Supreme Court monitoring the 2G probe," Communications Minister Kapil Sibal told reporters here.
Counter attacking the Opposition on the spectrum issue he asked if their demand for a joint parliamentary committee (JPC) was to delay the probe into 2G policy since 2001.
"Is opposition demanding a JPC to delay probe into 2G policy since 2001," Sibal said at a press conference.
Earlier in the day, the Supreme Court directed the CBI and the Enforcement Directorate to carry out investigations into the 2G spectrum scam and widened the ambit of the probe to include telecom policies from 2001 to 2008, covering both the NDA and the UPA regimes.
A bench comprising justices GS Singhvi and AK Ganguly made it clear that the emphasis of the investigation would be to determine the loss of money to the public exchequer and a progress report on the probe has to be filed by the CBI and ED in a sealed cover on the next date of hearing on February 10, 2011.